Switching to remington brass.

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
Inrut24/7
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa 1500

Switching to remington brass.

Post by Inrut24/7 »

I am switching to remington brass from hornady because it is all I could find in my area. I picked up 200 new cases today. In all my other rifles I have used one brand of brass only and never switched, My current load is, 29.1 grains of RL 15 with the 32 grain v-max. I have no pressure signs with this load with the hornady brass, should I work up to this load with the remington brass? Is point of impact different with remington brass and hornady brass? thanks
Wrangler John
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Precision Target/Shilen Custom

Re: Switching to remington brass.

Post by Wrangler John »

I use Hornady and Winchester interchangeably with no adverse effects. Any normal published load within SAAMI specifications should be alright, but it is always a good idea to reduce a little when using maximum loads and work back up. If your rifle is finicky it may require an adjustment in the charge. Hornady brass is available at Midway USA for $23.79 per 50, everybody else seems to be out. Hornady just sent me 100 cases in exchange for a bad lot I received so they must have it available (for full retail of course, $31.71 per 50).

You should be just fine with the Remington brass, I know the Winchester works as good.
greystone
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 VTR

Post by greystone »

I use Remington brass almost exclusively but today I'm going to be prepping some once fired Hornady brass. I have 100 cases of fired factory rounds. I debur the flash holes on my brass and have noticed that the Remingtons can have a sizable burr on the inside. It will be interesting to see what the Hornady brass will be like. Next weekend I hope to get a chance to shoot some along with the Remington brass. Dave
WaltherP99
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 VLP

Post by WaltherP99 »

Inrut: What will you be doing with Hornady brass you have now??? ;)
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

Once you go with the Rem brass, you will buy more.

In my experience, the Hornady primer pockets are terrible. Harder than hard to get them to ream properly - brass usually sticks on the reamer.

Win brass is ok, but tend to lose of few from split necks every time you fire them.
Inrut24/7
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa 1500

Post by Inrut24/7 »

thanks for the replys guys. Im keeping my hornady brass too as of now.
WaltherP99
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 VLP

Post by WaltherP99 »

Inrut24/7 wrote:thanks for the replys guys. Im keeping my hornady brass too as of now.
Was worth a try I guess! :)

GL with the switch! :wtg: