Parallax Question

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
greystone
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 VTR

Parallax Question

Post by greystone »

I once shot a five shot group with 3 shots in one ragged hole and 2 shots almost in one hole about a half inch away. It was suggested to me that I might not have my parallax set correctly. This group was shot at 100 yds. What is exactly the correct way to set parallax other than just trying to dial in the clearest picture? Thanks
Dave
jo191145

Re: Parallax Question

Post by jo191145 »

Using a front rest and bag.
Without touching the firearm anywhere move your eye side to side and up and down while looking through the scope. If your reticle appears to move on the target your parralax is not set correctly for that yardage.

Most cheap scopes and quite a few moderate priced scopes cannot be set for clear focus and correct parralax at the same time.

Bedding can be to blame along with trigger control and bullet seating depth or even a bad scope.
Usually I blame it on bore condition. Powder/copper fouling is changing as you shoot. I would retry that load exstensively. It might settle down and stop or it might get worse and begin to spray. More rounds downrange is the only way to tell. JMO

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
cracker

Post by cracker »

like jo said, use a good solid rest and after adjusting the parallex move your head around to see if the cross hairs move on the target. you want the cross hairs to look as if they are painted on the target and they do not move.
Sportingly
cracker
Bergcrane2
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington VSSF II

Post by Bergcrane2 »

I bought a Savage 116 that came with a cheap Swift scope on it. The parallax was so bad I had a hard time getting any kind of consistent group. I wound up putting a Sightron SII fixed parallax and it made a world of difference.
greystone
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 VTR

Post by greystone »

Thanks for the replies. I went to the range yesterday and was able to adjust the parallax and keep a clear sight picture. Learned a new trick. Thanks. Dave