Off the deck, with mange.

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
Song Dog
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 10, 12, & 16

Off the deck, with mange.

Post by Song Dog »

Doggone it! Another one with the mange. I spotted him coming out our drainage ditch behind the house cutting across the field. I told the kids look out the window, a coyote. Then it sounded like a herd of buffalo in the house :D
I ran down stairs and grabbed my CZ 204 and anchored down on the stair railing of the deck and hit him good. He just got over the road into the other field and I hit him one more time.
Rhett and I walked out to find him. We got there and told Rhett, DO NOT TOUCH THIS ONE, its got the mange. This makes the 4th one since Nov. I have never shot that many with the mange, ever.
Btw- The shot was 147 by the rangefinder.

In Christ,

Song Dog
PREDATOR DYNAMICS (facebook)
Foxpro Western Dealer Rep.
God's Country Camouflage-Fieldstaff
"A man with an experience has volumes more than a man with a theory"
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Re: Off the deck, with mange.

Post by Glen »

You sure did that one a big favor!! Nice shootin!! :wink:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Melvin Eades
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage M12 VLP, CZ 527 American, CZ 527 Varmint

Post by Melvin Eades »

That's a sad looking coyote. I hope their aren't any others out there but the way we've been seeing them this year, there probably are more. You just stopped this one from some serious suffering down the road.
Enjoy it while you have it, because things will change.

“Never trust the veracity of anything you read on the internet. That’s how World War I started.” — Abraham Lincoln.
surfclod
.204 Ruger Guns: None

Post by surfclod »

When I was a kid back home in Saskatchewan every coyote we saw looked like that or worse, the mange hit them really hard for several years and the population dropped off noticeably. Eventually they became immune to the strain of mange or else the mange run out of hosts and dies out, I really don't know how it works but they eventually rebounded and they are plentiful once again with beautiful fur.

If you have seen four that is not good news, hopefully by killing the mangy ones you can help prevent it spreading but with 4 already your coyote population may be in for a rough ride.
Gube
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage VLP and BTVSS. Tikka 3 stainless & grey laminate

Post by Gube »

As a kid on the farm I remember we would have the odd coyote with mange try to hide out in the barn to keep warm. Once their hair is gone, hypothermia sets in in the winter and then they die. You did that yote a favor.
Savage Vaporizer