Brass O Matic

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
mrmarmota
.204 Ruger Guns: 2 Ruger 204's and 1 Ruger 220 swift and 1 Ruger 223

Brass O Matic

Post by mrmarmota »

I like to anneal new brass.I still do it in a pan of water the tried and true way.Have any of you guys tried the Brass O Matic by Zephyr dynamics? Kinda pricey but looks very effective and definately speed up the process.No water quenching though.By controlling the flame time there is no risk of heating into the case web.So they say on the their web sight.What are your thoughts on air cooling versus water quenching and your opinion of the Brass O Matic, if any one of you has one.
In an earlier thread there was concern about split necks when F/L resizing new WW 204 brass.As I said in my opening sentence,I like to anneal new brass.I anneal as a first step before resizing.I rarely get a split neck.I have .223 brass that has been loaded 6-8 times.When I see 2or 3 split necks from the same batch I usually anneal the whole batch again.That is why I am looking for a quicker way to accomplish this time consuming process.
Thanks
Ed
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Re: Brass O Matic

Post by acloco »

Good question. I would like to make one of these.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

marmota: For the money they charge for that device, I'll gladly stay with my Kindler Series II Annealing Tip, Benzo-Matic Torch, and my pie pan with water for quenching. It has worked for over 25 years, never lost a case when forming wildcats or just re-annealing, so can't see that kind of a cash outlay just to go a bit faster. If you're cash heavy though, it may be the way to go.....let us know (I was intrigued when I saw it too......)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

mrmarmota

Post by mrmarmota »

Rick,
No. I am not cash heavy.Mostly curious.If I had that kind of money I would probably buy more primers and bullets.
I place my water pan on a small lazy susan turntable and just turn the pan using a standard tip on the old propane bottle.This has worked for me for years.I should look into that series 2 tip you mentioned.Might be able to streamline my process a little.
Thanks Ed
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

I agree with Rick. $450 for a detoothed saw blade with diamonds cut in it and a record player with gear reduction is a little pricey. :lol: Just kiddin sort of.

I use my rechargable drill with a deep dish socket of appropriate size. Load it,anneal it and dump it in a bucket of water. Pretty fast and because it spins I get even heat coverage.

Long thin brass like the 204 I semi quench or do not quench at all.
Semi quench= shallow baking pan with a towel flatly folded into it. Add just enough water to bring the level just beneath the saturated cloth. The brass will cool very fast especially the heavier case head and body with less drying time required. If any.

Short stuff like the 6BR and PPC I fully quench in a bucket.
Thick brass like .308, 6.5X284 I fully quench also. It takes more heat to anneal and I do not want that heat migrating down the body. Better safe than sorry.

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
mrmarmota

Post by mrmarmota »

I ordered the series 11 annealing tip from Tod Kindler today.
Thanks for your advise and opinion.
Gube
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage VLP and BTVSS. Tikka 3 stainless & grey laminate

Post by Gube »

mrmarmota wrote:I ordered the series 11 annealing tip from Tod Kindler today.
Thanks for your advise and opinion.
Where did you order it from? (web sight address)
Savage Vaporizer
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Gube: Here you go buddy. Tell Todd that Rick from Oregon sent you......he's a rabid chuck shooter as I am, and uses my BR Pivot also.

http://www.woodchuckden.com/
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Gube
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage VLP and BTVSS. Tikka 3 stainless & grey laminate

Post by Gube »

Rick in Oregon wrote:Gube: Here you go buddy. Tell Todd that Rick from Oregon sent you......he's a rabid chuck shooter as I am, and uses my BR Pivot also.

http://www.woodchuckden.com/
Thanks. I surely will. I have been very impressed with Todds work. I really enjoyed the "Small Caliber News" when it was in production.
Savage Vaporizer
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Gube wrote: Thanks. I surely will. I have been very impressed with Todds work. I really enjoyed the "Small Caliber News" when it was in production.
Alot of us really miss SCN. I'm hoping that another buyer picks it up soon, as along with you, I'm going through SCN withdrawls. Todd told me it was just too much to run The Woodchuck Den and the magazine. Dakota Arms bought it, and it went downhill soon thereafter, then into oblivion soon after that took place.

I'm now re-reading all the old issues, and it's interesting to see just how far the .17's and the .20's have come since he started the magazine. He could be called "The Father of the 204 Ruger", even though the actual "mothers" were both Ruger and Hornady. Todd is the one who got the ball rolliing to commercialize the .204, as prior to that, it was only wildcatters who played with the .20 cals and most of the .17's with the exception of the .17 Remmy.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA