Couldn't help myself

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the 204 Ruger.
Verminator2
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS 24" stainless fluted.

Couldn't help myself

Post by Verminator2 »

Went out calling today, my dad has been having a slump, hasn't called anything for a month. We went out to our hot spot and didn't call a single dog :eew: BUT, when dad went back to get the truck on one stand I plopped down to look around at the rim with the binos. The first thing I saw when I brought the binos up was a rockchuck sunning itself :eek: I had my .243 AI and it was a long ways away, just what I had been waiting for since I got the rifle put together in October. Dad got back and ranged it at 565. Well, we were in the middle of no where (literatly) and it was skylined so I took the shot. Nope, the next two were bad as well, before I figured out that I was 3/4 MOA high. The other two shots were off on windage. On my sixth shot I finally connected after it ran toward me 50 yards, HEADSHOT :D I was thrilled. I know some say that you shouldn't shoot them too soon, but I couldn't help my self.

Bomb Squad: If you see me running, try and keep up
Lenard
.204 Ruger Guns: 700 Remington

Re: Couldn't help myself

Post by Lenard »

You are getting my anxieties to kick in. Probably in anoth 6-8 weeks I will be in Southern Oregon spotting and shooting chucks. It is just one of my favorite activities.

Good shot on that chuck. That is beyond my capabilities but am happy to see that others can make those shots.

Lenard
Ryan S Albright
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 204 Ultra Light, Ruger 204 Standard, Ruger Target Gray

Post by Ryan S Albright »

Some times you just got to strech it out. Good shot. It had its chance to run. What grain and type of bullet are you using in your 243AI? I swapped to the 65gr Vmax and really like it but haven't had the chance to shoot way out there yet. What kind of scope are you using?
Verminator2
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS 24" stainless fluted.

Post by Verminator2 »

Yes it did :lol: I was all sniper like, prone with my ghillie suit on.... and a white Tacoma sitting next to me :lol: I'm using an 87gr. Vmax over H414, velocity is somewhere around 3350 and 3400. I really like this bullet. We found another one later yesterday with mangy stuff on its butt so dad took the shot with his .204, and at 300 yards it drifted as much as this one at 500 :chin: The scope is a Leupold VX-II 6-18 target, I REALLY like this scope, and to me it is as clear as my cousin's Mark 4.5-14.
Bomb Squad: If you see me running, try and keep up