OT: Computer Question for the experts out there.....

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
BillC
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527

Re: OT: Computer Question for the experts out there.....

Post by BillC »

Bergcrane2 wrote:Silverfox- No problemo! :D
BillC- I built my last 2 machines myself also. My next one will be a rockin' quad core.

Time to admit I'm something of a geek.

My machine is a Q6600 (G0 stepping) running at 3.7 ghz under water. 1 TB of hard drives, 6 gig of ram running XP 64 OS.
Fuzion makes a good water block, especially if you use 1/2 inch lines.
I have run raid 0 striped drive arrays in the past, but SATA is fast enough that I just didn't see any reason to do it on this machine. I'm not a gamer, so no 'high dollar' vid cards for me. I use this machine to process the HD Digital Video the wife shoots with her Sony camera. It takes serious horsepower to process digital video in anything resembling an acceptable length of time.
For anything other than digital video or computational fluid dynamics, this machine is gross overkill by a factor of 10.

When overclocking, be prepared to fry anything in the box. I am on my second set of ram sticks. I released the "Factory Installed Smoke" in the first set. I've killed a few motherboards too, just not in this machine (yet).

Ok, I'll shut up. It's just another hobby. I shoot guns and ride a fast motorcycle too.

Bill.
Bergcrane2
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington VSSF II

Re: OT: Computer Question for the experts out there.....

Post by Bergcrane2 »

I got rid of my bikes. I had 4 at one time. My saying was, "If you don't fall down, you're not going fast enough". :lol: As for video editing, 99% of the stuff I do is Standard Definition but the HD generation is just about here. Speed isn't really as much a factor as memory. A big L2 cache, and a lot of RAM are a must. I have a 512 video card that seems to help with realtime monitoring of effects and transitions.