Opinions on Cleanest Burning and Most Fouling Powder

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
dannybracy
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12LRPV w/ VX-L Leupold 6.5-20x56 VHR, Savage 12FV.204

Opinions on Cleanest Burning and Most Fouling Powder

Post by dannybracy »

Hey guys, I was wondering what you all feel is the cleanest burning and the most fouling powders that you all have tried for your .204 and .223 loads. Keeping in mind accuracy, for example Brand X powder gave you good results....but was really dirty so you don't use it even though you found accuracy was good. This came up when me and a friend were talking and I know how I feel but I was just wondering what everyone else has found from their experiences?

Personally I load the majority of my .204 w/ H335. I know others feel that it is dirty burning, and temp sensitive, but for some reason it just really works in my LRPV(the thing also loves the 40gr Vmax also, so go figure). I have tried Varget, W748, and some TAC. I have recently gotten some Re-10x and some H4895 to try so we will see.

Let me know what you think. Thanks guys. -Dan
***Danny Bracy***

'07 Savage 12LRPV .204 w/ VX-L Leupold 6.5-20x56 VHR
'07 Superior Arms AR15 20" Bull Varmint .223
jo191145

Re: Opinions on Cleanest Burning and Most Fouling Powder

Post by jo191145 »

Benchmark = clean
R10X = dirty
Everything else is in between.

Clean or dirty really means little until you find what your particular barrel prefers.
Some like it clean.
Some need it dirty.

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

Benchmark is top notch for me, and the cleanest burning stuff I've tried.
I've used a lot of H335 in .223 but gave it up by the time I went .204, it is the filthiest stuff I've ever used, (except Unique or 2400 in pistols) :eew: 748 is also a real pain to clean up after, but since it's a kissin' cousin to 335, that's no surprise (it might even be the same stuff, according to some sources).
TAC, in the little I've tried of it, was pretty clean, as was AA2230-C, a noncanister powder no longer available :( Regular old 2230 is pretty fair.
Most ball powders will burn dirty if you load them mild, hotter loads seem to burn cleaner.

Personally, I'll stick with Benchmark, H-322, H-4895, and let the rest go (except while milking my last hoard of 2230C).
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
OldTurtle
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage mod. 116 and Custom .204 AR

Post by OldTurtle »

I've been a big fan of the W-748 for both my .204s and .223s, but I'm switching over slowly to the Ramshot powders (both X-Terminator and TAC), as they do seem to burn cleaner and I love the way they meter (like water) for volume loading.

I haven't made a determination yet as to whether they prefer the standard or magnum primers, or if it makes a difference. Cold weather has limited my range time and moving has limited my reloading time.

What little testing I've been able to do indicates the X-Terminator produces several very accurate loads in my slow twist .223 with light (40gr) bullets.
AR
Factory/Factory