Velicty ?'s and More

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
majcl5

Velicty ?'s and More

Post by majcl5 »

My son recently bought a new VLSS rem 700 .204 and we are loading some test loads. 1st ? His gun (same gun as mine) shoots the same load as mine 100 fps faster. I am assuming since i have 2000 more rounds threw mine is the reason. 2nd ? I am using 27.3 grains of h4895 (max is 27.7) with cci 400 primmers v-max 40 grainers. 5 shot group of .442" 3 shot group of .066" almost all 3 in the same freakin hole. BUT 2 out 10 primmers had holes punched through. Same load with br-4's No problem. Is it my cheap primmers ? Even had some smoke on the 2 primmers that punched come out of the chamber area after the shot.
May Your Barrels Be Hot & Your Smiles Plentiful
Rem 700 VLSS .204
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Re: Velicty ?'s and More

Post by Silverfox »

The CCI 400 primers only have a cup thickness of .0200". I'd recommend using the BR4s that you tried or some Rem 7½ or the CCI 450s. These last three all have a cup thickness of .0250", which makes them the primers with the thickest cups for small rifles. When your loads get close to the maximum loads listed in calibers like the .17 Remington and .204 Ruger, you need a primer that will take the extra pressure. An extra tenth or two tenths of a grain of powder can really shoot the pressure up in a hurry in these small calibers.

I don't know if the extra 2,000 rounds down your barrel is causing the difference in velocity between your rifle and your son's. My Savage 12VLP actually started shooting some of my loads at higher velocities as I got more rounds through the barrel. Then again, it could be that the CCI 400 primers are a small part of the velocity difference? I'm no expert in that area. I know that when I have tested the BR4, Fed GM205M, and Rem 7½ with the same bullet, casing, and powder charge, the BR4s gave me a wee bit more velocity, then the Rem 7½ was next and the Fed GM205Ms were the slowest, but not by much.
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
majcl5

Re: Velicty ?'s and More

Post by majcl5 »

All i have seen for the last year is cci 450's of the ones you recomended i will try them
May Your Barrels Be Hot & Your Smiles Plentiful
Rem 700 VLSS .204