Suggestions for a light.......

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
Keith in Ga

Suggestions for a light.......

Post by Keith in Ga »

for some night time coyotes. Any ideas for a light to locate coyotes, which is lightweight, not too big and doesn't cost an arm and leg. I have a couple of places where I need to hunt at night, even though I had rather hunt early and late. Do I need just one light to mount on my scope, or one to locate them, and another one on the scope to shoot?
Tell me what works for you, and ideas of the best way to use them. Thanks....
ImageImage
BabaOriley
.204 Ruger Guns: Dtech AR

Re: Suggestions for a light.......

Post by BabaOriley »

Here in MN, to use a light for coyotes, we must be 200' from a vehicle, and using a shotgun. I do like the idea of a light on a rifle that can come on to surprise that one sitting looking at your from 50 yards away in the tall grass. Shooting at eyeshine would be much easier (and safer) than shooting at that dark blob moving across the snow (if you even have snow). Looking forward to snow here again this winter. When there's a full moon, and good snow cover, it's almost like daylight, and the coyotes stick out. Not so much on a black, plowed field. I think as with coon, they look away quickly if the light is too bright. Eyeshine shows up well in a scope, so don't over do it. I know they don't like the 1,000,000 candlepower lights. Also, it's hard to see the difference in eyeshine and everything else if it's too bright for your eyes.
iceboxdan
.204 Ruger Guns: savage fv 12 d-tech ar 204

Post by iceboxdan »

i got a Light Force light last year and it is the best light i have ever used. our hight hunt season just opened last night so i haven't had a chance to use it with out snow on the ground yet. we have a real large moon still and everything i have read says it is better hunting when it is darker out . the coyotes can't see you as good.
icebox
foxwhistler
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington L.V.S.F

Post by foxwhistler »

Before i start,i have no experiance of shooting coyotes,living in the UK.I have a lot of experiance of shooting at night with a lamp however.
As far as a lamp goes, if you can get a Lightforce,get one.A great piece of kit and will do everything you want.To be honest though,although i have a handheld Lightforce i use a Deben Max-Pro as a scope mounted lamp,as below.

The reason i use one of these is that it has variable power,which is very handy when the animal isn`t keen on the light.

The stock mounted switch is very handy.
There are a couple of ways that i use when lamping on my own,and as they work for foxes,i would expect them to work for coyote`s.
The first one is to travel round calling your prey to you.Then as soon as you see a set of eyes i normaly turn the light right down and see if you can call the animal closer,under minimum light.I feel if you use too much light,the animal may get suspicious and run off.
Another way is to bait an area.Unless you can use a large animal for bait i would recomend you secure your bait,to stop your coyote doing a grab and run.The added benifit of baiting is that you can work out your distances to the bait before hand.
if i can help any more,let me know.
I only have to be lucky once,
the fox has to be lucky every time!
Ryan S Albright
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 204 Ultra Light, Ruger 204 Standard, Ruger Target Gray

Post by Ryan S Albright »

Check your game laws real close for your area. Some laws don't allow for lights being attached to the gun. If night hunting is permitted or you have your own private property. Night force is a good product. I use a hand held light to catch them coming in then swap to the gun light. I have a led head lamp which runs on 3-AAA batteries. I use a cheap 6 volt hand held lamp from Harbor fright which I put red PVC plastic over the lenses. Lights with reostats are nice. You don't need a bunch of candle light power. You just need enough to get there eyes to glow giving away there position. The red lenses robs some of the candle light power. My head lamp with some amber colored plastic over the lenses will light up there eyes way out there. Go out side at night and shine a light on your tail lights and on some reflective signs, you only need to use the halo of the light to make them glow. Shine the light in the air then bring it down slowly untill they light up, When you put the light right on them they will often blink or cring. You know you have to much light. Practice on the dog or cats in the back yard. Good luck and be safe.
Song Dog
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 10, 12, & 16

Post by Song Dog »

I am very pleased with my Lightforce 170 Hunter Pack. It is awesome.

In Christ,

Song Dog
PREDATOR DYNAMICS (facebook)
Foxpro Western Dealer Rep.
God's Country Camouflage-Fieldstaff
"A man with an experience has volumes more than a man with a theory"
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

Check CDNN for a "Famous Maker" brand light and laser...about $70...and it has a remote switch.