AA2460 and those Midway Dogtowns

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

AA2460 and those Midway Dogtowns

Post by glenn asher »

With nothing to lose, I stuck some 2460 into some old Winchester cases primed with 7 1/2 primers, and stuck some of those sorta inconsistent 34 gr. hollow points on top (just about that scientific about it, too :wink: ) After a few warm up shots, I managed to stick 5 of them into about a half-inch, which is as good as they've ever shot for me, heck, it's half the group size of what I'd gotten before! In fact, they shot better than the 32 VMs I loaded with the same rather mild charge (27.5 gr. of 2460) I think the load will need a boost, it sooted the case necks quite a bit on the outside, but for a relatively inexpensive bullet, and a powder that was brand-new to me, I think it warrants more dinking around.

I used 27.5 of AA2230-C with the same bullets on a PD trip this summer, and they worked awfully well, and 2460 is supposed to be similar to 2230-C, hence my interest in it. 2230-C is no longer available (it was a non-canister powder surplused out by Accurate Arms a few years ago). 2230-C burned cleanly and didn't heat the barrel up too awfully badly, it was a wonderful powder. 2450 seemed awfully dirty in comparison, but I think a bit more powder will make it burn cleaner.
The range was awfully busy yesterday, there was no way to retrieve the targets for pictures, or to set up a chronograph.

It's really hardly worth mentioning, but it might help someone shoot up those 34s they've got on hand, or it might lead to a good load for PDs that won't burn up the wallet quite so bad. That particular load was also quite cool-burning, but I think it needs more heat to shoot cleaner, so that might be a wash.
If you've got some of the Midway bullets and haven't gotten them to shoot well, you might go ahead and try them with 2460, just for the heck of it.
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
greystone
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 VTR

Re: AA2460 and those Midway Dogtowns

Post by greystone »

I'm interested in your post. I've played around with the Dogtowns quite a bit and found that they can be very accurate. I've had thee shoot into almost the same hole but open up one the 4th and 5th shot. Most of the problem is probably behind the trigger :) I have shot a number of half inch 5 shot groups with them. I'm looking around to playing around with these things again next summer :) Here's one of the 5 shot groups with the Dogs. For cheap shooting they're hard to beat. Dave
glenn asher

Post by glenn asher »

Three shot groups were never the problem, getting the next two to shoot well......... that's the hard part, with those bullets. I've never really been able to trust them, until this powder, at least it looks good so far......

They do well enough on PDs, because I MISS a lot when dogging anyhow :lol: , and I expect some loss there, but I had high hopes because I like to plink around now and then, and they just didn't make the grade. For PDs, I'll probably stick with Benchmark, I hate to clean out in the field, and Benchmark is really clean stuff.
I simply can't get the .224" 50s to shoot worth a hoot. I'm ready to give up on them, but finally the .204" bullets are coming around. I bought 500 of each, and I'm not wasting any more money on the .22s, I might be persuaded with the .204s. :roll:
I've tried the .224s in three different rifles, with a wide assortment of powders, and they have been barely under 2 MOA :eek: :eek: . Out of GOOD rifles, too, and my buddy's rifles, also, because I couldn't believe they shot so poorly :eek: They are definitely NOT Nosler's finest efforts, they aren't priced that way, either. Still, I think I'll buy Midsouth's Hornady overruns next time I want bargain bullets, Hornady seldom disappoints me.
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

Looks like it's time for me to try some 34 grain Dogtowns. I shot up a whole heap of Berger's in a weekly off hand match. I'm about a 6.0 MOA at 100 :eew: . They should work well,Maybe even toss one in the X ring when I'm off target :lol: .
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)
Savage model 10 Predator, 3-9 Nikon Omega
07 LRPV, 35X45 Leupold Competition

Red

Post by Red »

Glenn,

I've been too leary to buy any of the dogtowns. If you do heat them up a bit, please keep us posted on your findings. I'd be curious to know if they stay within the .5moa range or not once they are moving at, or closer to, top end.
glenn asher

Post by glenn asher »

Red, they don't blow up PDs as well as a plastic-tipped bullet, but they do a credible job, anyway :mrgreen: I ran them at 3930 fps with Benchmark and 2230-C both, and anything that fast will treat a PD roughly, even an FMJ. Other posters here have claimed they go to pieces much over 4000fps, and I'll take their word for it. My rifle seems to like the 3900 range well enough for me to just stay there. Besides, that's still a lot faster than a .223....
For whatever quirk of dumb luck, I had the same point of impact with the 34s that I had with the 32s I normally shoot, but they did drift a bit more in the wind. That SD wind is well known to us both........................

I had a pretty good time using up the few I took to South Dakota this summer, so I will be taking more on the next trip, though it probably won't be this upcoming summer, the money and economy ain't treating me too nicely this time out. :? Don't be scared of the Dogtown/Varmint Extremes, they work well enough under 300 yards to kill stuff, even little stuff like PD pups. Midsouth's prices beat Midway's all to pieces, on the same bullet, so I'd advise buying from Midsouth, who wasn't carrying them when I got mine.
Red

Post by Red »

glenn asher wrote: though it probably won't be this upcoming summer, the money and economy ain't treating me too nicely this time out. :?
I hear that, you ain't alone buddy. I don't think I'll be making that trip this coming summer either.

Thanks for the info. I'll have to try some.
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

Glenn
FWIW When the DG's first came out I pushed them over 4300fps and they all made it to the target.
Even saw some decent accuracy potential somewhere in the 4200fps range. Never pursued it further though.
Nothing wrong with 3900fps either ;)

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .