20 Inch barrels??

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
Murphy

20 Inch barrels??

Post by Murphy »

What would I loose out on if anything with a 20 Inch barrel in .204 ??

Just a little MV or would it affect accuracy??

Does .204 need a longer barrel?

Thanks. :D
greystone
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 VTR

Re: 20 Inch barrels??

Post by greystone »

Here's an article from the home page of this site about barrel lengths. I suppose there will be variables-loads,powder burn rates,etc. I shoot a Remington VTR that has a muzzle brake which effectively shortens-performance wise-the barrel to 20". Doesn't bother me at all and I don't think anything I shoot will notice any difference either. BTW the older I get the shorter and lighter my guns get. Dave
http://www.bullberry.com/204Rugerdata.html
Murphy

Post by Murphy »

Thank you that's just what I was looking for. :D
Schrutester
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by Schrutester »

greystone wrote:Here's an article from the home page of this site about barrel lengths. I suppose there will be variables-loads,powder burn rates,etc. I shoot a Remington VTR that has a muzzle brake which effectively shortens-performance wise-the barrel to 20". Doesn't bother me at all and I don't think anything I shoot will notice any difference either. BTW the older I get the shorter and lighter my guns get. Dave
http://www.bullberry.com/204Rugerdata.html
How do you like the VTR?

If you don't mind, could you tell me what size groups you are getting with it?

I have found info. on it in the other calibers, but have yet to hear a report about the VTR in a .204 Ruger.

Last edited by Schrutester on Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
greystone
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 VTR

Post by greystone »

Hi Schrutester
I really like this rifle but I'm a 700 guy. Everthing about a 700 fits me like an old pair of jeans. I just like the way they feel. I have 3 700's. I also like the new X-Mark trigger-easy to adjust and no creep. This rifle is capable of shooting alot better than me. I'm 60 yrs old and the old eyes ain't what they used to be. Anyhow I wanted a rifle that was fairly light and easy to carry with good practical hunting accuracy and this one fits the bill. I sold one 204 to get this one so I had all the reloading components for it. I haven't shot any factory stuff through it. I've done alot of playing around with Midway Dogtowns because they're cheap and 35 grn Bergers. I've posted some pics of my groups on this site-both good and bad. I haven't shot for a couple of weeks now but heres a link to when I shot last time. There are no complaints from me. Dave
http://www.204ruger.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5466
Schrutester
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by Schrutester »

Hey thanks for the info. It is much appreciated.