Last day of P-doggin. Warning, GRAPHIC

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the 204 Ruger.
Gube
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage VLP and BTVSS. Tikka 3 stainless & grey laminate

Last day of P-doggin. Warning, GRAPHIC

Post by Gube »

Went out Wed for one last day of P-doggin with my son and daughter. Hit three fields that were rich with targets earlier in the year. Pickings were very slim as most have now gone down for the winter :wall: . We did manage to fire off 31 rds. My daughter took a couple of vids and not sure if you can view them (have never posted video before). The videos are okay, but I still prefer the "frame by frame" shots that my wife took with her nikon D-300 that I posted in an earlier thread. :twisted:

http://predatorhuntcanada.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=676
Savage Vaporizer
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Re: Last day of P-doggin. Warning, GRAPHIC

Post by Silverfox »

Gube--Do you have any close-up photos of those critters you were shooting? I am wondering if what you have there are prairie dogs or some form of gopher or ground squirrel? Some ground squirrels do disappear in late summer, but prairie dogs can be seen year-round. Prairie dogs are not true hibernators, although their level of activity does taper off considerably in the winter months.
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
Gube
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage VLP and BTVSS. Tikka 3 stainless & grey laminate

Re: Last day of P-doggin. Warning, GRAPHIC

Post by Gube »

They are actually called "Richardson's ground squirrels". They are much smaller than the typical "prairie dog" hence why they can be launched quite high with the ole 204. There are some close ups of the same critters in my earlier thread of which my wife took photos with her camera (frame by frame). Out here by September they will be pretty much gone for the year and re-appearing in the spring when the snow starts to melt.

Here is a pretty good description on these little critters from out here in Alberta
http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department ... ibernation
Savage Vaporizer