leupold bases

Discussion about rifle scopes, spotting scopes and binoculars.
Ruger No. 1
.204 Ruger Guns: XR-100 Ruger No. 1 Savage 16

leupold bases

Post by Ruger No. 1 »

I have a few dumb questions on leupold bases. First question: on the dovetail mount where the ring slides down into the base and you have to turn it to get it straight, how do you know when the base is straight inline with the other mount?

Second question, what is the advantage to a dual dovetail mount over a standard mount?

Third question, the gun im putting this on is a remington 700 22-250, I assume this is considered a short action?

thanks
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Re: leupold bases

Post by Captqc »

I can answer your first question, to align the bases all you need is a dowel appx the diameter of the scope (if you want to get fancy Sinclair International sells a tool) and lay it across the bases to check alignment. By using a dowel before mounting your scope you will prevent any side stress on your scope tube. Gary
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Re: leupold bases

Post by futuretrades »

captqc is right on as far as the alignment of your bases. personally i went ahead and bought the tool he is talking about. basically 2 pieces of 1" dia., or 30mm, steel dowel, with a pointed end on each piece. just tighten down the rings on the steel dowels, and turn the rings in to align the pointed ends. nice thing about the dowels is you use them for leverage to turn the rings in. DO NOT USE YOUR SCOPE FOR THIS!

as far as an advantage to use the dovetail mounts, i don't think there is any big advantage to use them. same as the difference in using one piece or 2 piece mounts, although, the 2 piece mounts give more clearance for loading the magazine or chamber. also a "standard" scope mount depends on ones idea of "standard"

as for your action, it is a short action for the 22-250. long action examples would be such as 270, 30-06, or the 7mm rem mag.

hope this helps answer your questions.
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.