Totally new to reloading.

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
Pydpiper
.204 Ruger Guns: Tikka Varmint

Totally new to reloading.

Post by Pydpiper »

So, I bought a new Tikka .204 and a box of Horandy V-Max ammunition. I have every intention of learning to reload my own shells and have no idea where to begin.
I spend most of my time bow hunting, and I build my own arrows because I like the consistency and satisfaction of doing it.
Looks like i am going to be doing the same with bullets now. :D
My questions are simple, I am not after instructions or anything, I am just curious as to how much money I am going to be in to starting from scratch. I want a decent machine and consistency is my number one priority, as I am sure it is with anyone who reloads.
Where do I start? Is there a book to guide me?

Thanks!
David
madracer

Re: Totally new to reloading.

Post by madracer »

i started with a lee aniversary kit and was happy with it, now reoalding for f class so have replaced the scales and trimmer (only because they dont do a version for 204). that cost me $215 +dies (nz dollars)
LeeC

Post by LeeC »

I also started out with the Lee Anniversary kit. As you progress, you can upgrade as you find the need. Nothing wrong with the press and Lee dies. Check out MidwayUSA.com, they have them on sale now and then. And pay attention to the more knowledgable guys on this site....you'll be able to tell who they are...and you'll find a wealth of knowledge in the search files.
"Those who hammer their guns into plowshares will plow for those who do not." Thomas Jefferson
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

First thing, and I mean FIRST thing, is to buy a couple or three reloading manuals. Ignore the data sections at first, and just read and reread the "how to" sections, paying strict attention to safety items and procedures. Reloading isn't hard, if you're detail oriented to begin with, but you do have to pay attention to details.

I'd suggest the Speer manual and perhaps the Hornady manual for starters, they have good photos and describe everything pretty well. Speer doesn't have any .204 data, but Hornady and Sierra DO carry .204 data.
After reading the manuals, you'll know more about the procedures, and that can help you when deciding which press and accessories to purchase. Plus, of course, we're all here to help in any way we can.
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
foxwhistler
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington L.V.S.F

Post by foxwhistler »

Just to add something else to all the other good advice.I found the book"THE ABC`S OF RELOADING" very helpful when i started.
I only have to be lucky once,
the fox has to be lucky every time!
K_Hini

Post by K_Hini »

+1 on the LEE anniversary kit......The scale is something to be desired! RCBS digital will fix that in a hurry for $100

+1 on the ABC's of reloading.... boring to read but good info.... Lyman has a good manual too!!

kyle
Sidewinderwa
.204 Ruger Guns: Savages

Post by Sidewinderwa »

I would recommend looking at the RCBS Rockchucker reloading kit, for about $260. It comes with the Speer manual. You would still need to get a case trimmer and of course, dies and shell holders for your calibers.

If I were to start over I would get the Forster Co Ax reloading press, for about $230. Heck, I just bought one as an additional press. One of the best things I bought myself for reloading was the RCBS Chargemaster Combo for about $280. It takes all the effort out of getting the right powder charge in each case. You did not say that you were on a tight budget so I mentioned this. I recommend Forster and Redding dies, Hornady if on a budget.

I have only used the Forster case trimmer as it has always worked well for me. There are some other good ones out there, I just do not have any first hand information on them.

Hornady did a recent article on reloading vs buying store bought ammo and they said that you could reload for just over 1/3 the price of loaded ammo, after you have the reloading equipment.

You can really speed up the learning curve if you can go to a friends and watch them reload. There are lots of people here that can help you out with reloading questions, you just have to ask! I wish that the internet was around when I started as I had to learn everything on my own. Yes there was TV, but just black and white! :lol:

I hope this helps, along with all the other good advice you have already received.
Please, no Sidewinder today!
Pydpiper
.204 Ruger Guns: Tikka Varmint

Post by Pydpiper »

Thanks guys, I am happy to see that I am only looking at about half of what I had expected.
I will get some books and start reading!
Arizona Hunter

Post by Arizona Hunter »

Ditto what glenn asher says. I started with the Speer manual, and although Hornady's is good and so are others, I always find myself looking back at the Speer book. I guess I just like the format they use.

Just get a single stage press or at the most a Turret press. A relative let me use all his reloading stuff whern I strated but that Lee starter kit is inexpensive and will get you going.

You will enjoy "rolling" your own cartridges. For powders, I'd start with Benchmark and RL 15. Neither is temperature sensitive and both tend to work very well in the 204.
K_Hini

Post by K_Hini »

if you buy an extra load book I would wait a little bit and get the lyman 49th edition!! I think they are coming out in june?!?! Their info is a little more updated than some of these other books!!

kyle