Factory Savage wins Groundhog shoot

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
Hawkeye Joe

Factory Savage wins Groundhog shoot

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

I saw this at Savage shooters and thought I would share it . Way to go Savage :D
http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/i ... ic=14467.0
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)
Savage model 10 Predator, 3-9 Nikon Omega
07 LRPV, 35X45 Leupold Competition

Lee C.

Re: Factory Savage wins Groundhog shoot

Post by Lee C. »

No that couldn't be a factory savage that shoot that good ! :wink: :wink:
dannybracy
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12LRPV w/ VX-L Leupold 6.5-20x56 VHR, Savage 12FV.204

Post by dannybracy »

That is funny that they were wanting to boot the LRPV outta the factory rifle class and put it in the custom category. Love my savages! :D
***Danny Bracy***

'07 Savage 12LRPV .204 w/ VX-L Leupold 6.5-20x56 VHR
'07 Superior Arms AR15 20" Bull Varmint .223
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

dannybracy wrote:That is funny that they were wanting to boot the LRPV outta the factory rifle class and put it in the custom category. Love my savages! :D

That wasn't being pushed by a green rifle maker was it?? :lol:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Bayou City Boy

Post by Bayou City Boy »

Glen wrote:
dannybracy wrote:That is funny that they were wanting to boot the LRPV outta the factory rifle class and put it in the custom category. Love my savages! :D

That wasn't being pushed by a green rifle maker was it?? :lol:
Actually...if you really understood the issue you would realize that its not an issue of which factory rifle shoots best but rather an issue of rifle weight. Some manufacturers - even the Ugly Big Green with their poor performing varmint weight rifles - have made heavy factory rifles that are primarily designed for bench use. When you look at the F-class sporter/factory category, this means that "walk-around" sporter weight rifles are trying to compete with rifles designed to be shot from the bench. That was not the spirit of the F-class type of shooting when it was started.

Its been years since I competed from the bench, but I do know from experience - and not from conjecture because its fashionable to throw jabs in certain directions - that its a lot easier to shoot a 15 pound bench gun from the bench than it is to shoot a 6.5 pound sporter from the bench. As a result, the issue being looked at is the overall design and weight of rifles in this category that provide unequal benefits versus others rifles shot in the same manner. The fairly new Savage LRPV with its weight and other factors such as right bolt/left port and parallel comb stock just happens to be at one extreme as to what is typically not factory sporter designs. Thats what's being looked at.

But....since some want to make this an issue - as well as any other opportunities possible - of whose rifle is best as to manufacturer, I have a son who competes in F-class type shooting, and where he shoots there are several Savage LRPV rifles that showed up in tow of shooters expecting to mop up everyone just because of the rifle they were shooting. However, for several months now they have not cracked the field against a few Remington and older Winchester heavy barreled rifles and a couple of heavy Sakos. Maybe who is behind the rifle does make a difference and that having an Indian stamped on the pistol grip doesn't necessarily mean anything magical except to those who need to feel better about themselves because they don't own something else. Or....maybe they are just plain ignorant like most gun writers and feel that sounding negative makes them sound intelligent... even if they aren't even in the ball park as to understanding what the real issues of the argument actually are.

Perhaps the answer to the overall question is to divide factory rifles by rifle weight and design as is being looked at by the VHA for one. Then those who show up with a true sporter weight rifle won't be competing against bench guns that are far superior for the task. I own a couple of sporter weight custom rifles that I have over $6K in each that I would not take to an F-class style shoot. They shoot extremely well for about three successive shots, but then the light weight barrels on them begin to walk. Not even an "Ugly Shooting Remington" varmint weight rifle will do that..... However, when I wrote the checks for those two rifles, I never expected them to be 1/2" shooters - "all day long" - "if I do my part", etc. assorted gun wrag/Internet jargon. I bought them for typical hunting accuracy needs (3 shots) at which they both perform exceptionally well.

JMO - BCB
WrzWaldo
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100 / Savage-Douglas-Richards

Post by WrzWaldo »

Well BCB if I didn't know any better I'd think you were looking for an argument...

FYI, it won't happen here.

WW