Definition of Willpower :)

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
Njanear
.204 Ruger Guns: NEF

Definition of Willpower :)

Post by Njanear »

Willpower = the ability to walk into a Bass Pro Shop and hold a Rem. 700 SPS Varmint in .204 - and not buy it for $450. :oops:

I was so tempted because I actually really liked how the stock felt, the price, the overall look, the Remington name... but the wife was not amused and asked what could it do that my other rifles could not. Dang!! I didn't have a pre-made answer to that question. :duh: What was I thinking, bringing the 'voice of reason' and the 'keeper of the bills' with me? :wall:

Of course, that also means that I have some more time to try and run down a CZ527 Varmint to look at - and I can only find those at the gunshows around here, which she doesn't go to. Now to start working on a well-thought-out answer in case one of them follows me home. 8)
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Re: Definition of Willpower :)

Post by Glen »

what could it do that my other rifles could not.

Answer>> I don't know. I haven't gotten it home to find out yet.

:wink:

Some folks like to duck right away but I prefer to take my lumps. She'll respect you more!! :lol: :lol:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
foxwhistler
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington L.V.S.F

Post by foxwhistler »

The secret is to allways buy rifles that look alike.Then when she asks if its new you tell her "no dear,I`ve had it for ages! ;)
I only have to be lucky once,
the fox has to be lucky every time!
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

This is the reason I never take "The Minister of Finance" with me to gun shows, Nosler Pro Shop, Sportsmans Warehouse, or any place cool stuff may be found. ;)

But some good usable answers:
"I lent it to Joe and just got it back"
"It was at the gunsmiths"
"I took it to work for show 'n tell"

And if she IS with you: "This is the caliber I need to complete my battery".......it works sometimes, except for the next time of course....... :lol:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Njanear
.204 Ruger Guns: NEF

Post by Njanear »

foxwhistler wrote:The secret is to allways buy rifles that look alike.Then when she asks if its new you tell her "no dear,I`ve had it for ages! ;)
That's hard to do when she is 10 feet away in the store. :lol:

I have used that for the various Glocks though... she hasn't noticed how the G22 that I bought back in the '90s has the ability to shorten itself up (G27) or develop ports (G23C) or even grow larger (G20)... :wink: Or the NEF that can mysteriously appear in either a wood or synthetic stock at a moments notice, in .22LR, .22WMR, .204, .280 or .30/30 at any given point in time (I have just got to make sure that 'the one rifle' doesn't show up next to itself when she is around ;) ).

She would really flip if I told her that I needed the SPS to help me fire up the 2500 .204 loads that I plan to work up (especially with the 2K of bullets I just got from Midsouth that I forgot to mention to her ;) ) because my NEF .204 is a single shot and may lead to some form of repetitive motion disorder when I try to load it that many times. :chin: Hhmmmm.... now you have got my creative side thinking.... 8)

Thanks, fellas! :mrgreen:
WrzWaldo
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100 / Savage-Douglas-Richards

Post by WrzWaldo »

Here's what I did...

I sent "the voice of reason" for an overnight spa trip.

While she was out relaxing I purchased that nice looking rifle from Hawkeye...

She came back all relaxed and had minimal grumblings about getting the bank check.

Sometimes it's about give and take...

Actually my wife is always scanning the classifieds looking to fill holes in my (our) gun collection. She's a keeper!

WW
Lee C.

Post by Lee C. »

All you guys that have a wife like ww dose. You really don't know how lucky you are. I've got a wife that wan't nothing to do with guns or even have them around the house. We both save out alittle cash each week for things we want. It's just that most of what i have goes for guns and fishing. The new rcbs 10 10 scale and a bunch of new bullets i just got. Took me two days to get in the house from my pick up. Only because if she see it, It saves me from cooking my owen meals. I know this good for laugh the way it sounds it's kind of a game between us. But after 40 years to gether and three sons what can you say. :wink: :wink:
Squatting Wolf
.204 Ruger Guns: '07 Savage 12 LRPV

Post by Squatting Wolf »

You have more willpower than I do! I went to a gunshow yesterday and walked out with a Browning A5 Light Sixteen! :D
I took fifty bucks with me so that something like this wouldn't happen...dang those ATM's!
It's more important where ya hit 'em, than what ya hit 'em with.
'07 Savage 12 LRPV .204 w/ Leupold VX-II 6-18 LRV reticle
Melvin Eades
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage M12 VLP, CZ 527 American, CZ 527 Varmint

Post by Melvin Eades »

Shortly after my wife and I got married, I told her I was going to buy another rifle. She said " What do you need another gun for? Can't you use the same ones you already have"? I asked her why she had so many dress's and she said they are for various occasions and she didn't want to wear the same ones all the time. I said to her "There ya go, a different gun/dress for a different occasion". End of conversation.

Then one day she showed up with something new and I asked her where she came up with the money for it. She said if you can't figure out how to hold out a little money now and then that I had a problem. All I will saw is she drew first blood.

Now she will see me with a new gun and ask " Have I seen this one before?" and I'll say "I've had it a while". Maybe 2 hours or 2 days, but who's counting. Why stir up things. Life is better when they don't know.
Enjoy it while you have it, because things will change.

“Never trust the veracity of anything you read on the internet. That’s how World War I started.” — Abraham Lincoln.
TD-Max

Post by TD-Max »

I don't have that many (yet) but recently acquired my Dad's Buffalo Scout and Win 94. When I said I needed to run to the gun shop for a new rifle that I had orderd, she didn't grumble too much. Just asked what this one was for. I said plinking. She said don't you already have guns for that? I said yeah I guess. She said "In the new house (we are presently building) I'm not going to have guns under the bed and in the closets and scattered everywhere!" So now I get to look at gun cabinets, gun safes, vault doors, etc.

I have a gun room in the works that I'll start a new topic for...
Sako VLSS Set Trigger in .204 with Leupold VXIII 4.5-14x50 LR
Sako VLSS Set Trigger in 22-250 with Swaro Z5 5-25x52 BRX and turret
Sako Stainless Synth in .260 with Swaro Z5 3.5-18x44 BRX
Ruger MKIII 678GC with Ultradot Matchdot