Can I get away with this?

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
TD-Max

Can I get away with this?

Post by TD-Max »

The ammo that I worked up for my Sako is 2.065" to ogive. I measured my new LVSF at 2.075" so I have a .010" jump.

26gr Re-10x and Sierra BK with no signs of psi issues.

Can I try these loads in the new Rem w/o serious risk?
Sako VLSS Set Trigger in .204 with Leupold VXIII 4.5-14x50 LR
Sako VLSS Set Trigger in 22-250 with Swaro Z5 5-25x52 BRX and turret
Sako Stainless Synth in .260 with Swaro Z5 3.5-18x44 BRX
Ruger MKIII 678GC with Ultradot Matchdot
scootertrash

Re: Can I get away with this?

Post by scootertrash »

Which Blitzking, the 32 or 39? If you are using the 39's, unless you are using the slow lot of powder from 2003 I believe, you are .9 grains over max already.

They may shoot fine in the Sako, but that ain't no place to start with a new rig. :eek:
So there's my answer, no you can't try it without risk.

Mike
Factory Custom
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Post by Hotshot »

I don't think you'd be in any danger, but stop at any sign of excess pressure. It would sure be lucky if both rifles liked the same recipe. You're probably going to need to fine tune for your new rifle and maybe even start over in load development.
TD-Max

Post by TD-Max »

I have 32 BK at 26.1gr Re 10x and 39 at 26.0gr. I'll have to check the powder old bottles, but I do recall it being quite old.
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

TD-Max

26 grains of RE-10X and a 39 gr. sierra BK is way on up there. I'd check the maximum load again, if I were you. Have you ever chronographed that load?

With any new rifle it's best to start with the minimum load and work your way up in .2 grain increments. Starting near maximum isn't advised. Besides that, the cartridges you shoot in one rifle may not chamber in the new rifle without full length sizing them first. Each chamber is different. I have two 204s and I keep all the brass for both rifles separate. One rifle, the brass only gets neck sized and it likes a completely different load than the other rifle. Different seating depth, different bullets, etc., etc.

It's best to do the Ladder Load Development test with any new rifle so you can find out what makes her shoot. Shucks, there's a really good reason to go spend the day at the range. You might get lucky and find a load that works equally well in both rifles, but I doubt it. Be safe, start low and work your way up slowly.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
TD-Max

Post by TD-Max »

Thanks guys. If anything, I'll stick to the 32's for now and see how they go. Just looking to take the easy way out and get on paper, and maybe kill some squirrels today. I have a lot of hand loads but I also have some factory stuff that I could try. The gun will get dropped off for bedding, floating, and a trigger job so I didn't want to invest the time at the range just yet. That and it's covered with snow...

I shoot at the neighbors, and could probably plow my shooting lane, but I'm sure there's a couple feet of snow there and it's just barely creeping into the 30's some days...

I've chrono'd the 32 BK at 3885 with 26.2gr of 10x. Not sure how well I trust my chrono some times as it seems slow, yet some factory stuff zips right along like the Winchester cheap hollow points for the 22-250 run about 4,000...
WrzWaldo
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100 / Savage-Douglas-Richards

Post by WrzWaldo »

TD...

I never jump a load from one rifle to another, ever!

As was mentioned that load is up there... You need to ask yourself a couple of questions.

1. Do I feel 100% confident with this?

And if you are shooting near other shooters...

2. Can I afford to injure another shooter? (Afford being both emotionally and financially)

Really, what's it take to work up 5 or 6 incremental loads to your target load?

Be safe, we like having you around here...

WW