New to forum, but I come with pics

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the 204 Ruger.
Funbronco
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS

New to forum, but I come with pics

Post by Funbronco »

I have been reading this forum for about a year and 2 months. (since I bought my .204) This is my first post. You guys seem to like a good story so I hope you enjoy.
I have been trying to get a Coyote since I got my .204 which is no easy task here in central PA. The song dogs here are not high in numbers yet and are VVVEEERRRRYYY cautious. Well I finally scored, It was about 4 P.M. I set up in a small island of trees overlooking a large field, The left edge of the field is bordered by a patch of woods, to my right was all field for 300+ yards, The far edge is a fence row about 250 yards out with more fields on the other side. The wind was from left to right. I set up my homemade Weasel Ball decoy and my foxpro 70 yards straight out crosswind in front of me then waited 15 min.
I started calling at a fairly low volume with various distress calls, first was cottontail, then groundhog, then more cottontail, gradually increasing the volume, nothing. I did this off and on for about 45 min. still nothing. I cranked the volume up and cut loose with female barks and howls followed by male challenge howls, waited about 5 min. and repeated the howls, I just turned the caller off and layed the remote down and when I looked back up I saw a Coyote coming out of the woods to my left about 75 yards out past the decoy. He trotted straight downwind glancing at the decoy from time to time as I followed him in the scope waiting for him to stop. He never did stop, he started to bear to his right to get downwind of the decoy, I figured it wouldn't be long till he had my scent so I lip squeaked to stop him but he kept on trotting so I led him a little and touched off a shot at around 140 yards, He rolled when the 35 grain Berger hit him. He got up and stumbled another 10 yards and collapsed. One shot right in the boiler room.
The end result is a DOG DOWN!!! :wtg:

My .204 is a Rem. 700 sps with a Boyds thumbhole stock, A Nikko Stirling 6 x 24 x 56IR Platnum Nighteater scope, Caldwell bipod, and an Optronics GL-50M4 scope light. The load I was using was 35 grain Berger hp in Win brass, Rem 7 1/2 primer, 28.1 grains of 4895.
This is so much fun I can hardly stand it!!
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Re: New to forum, but I come with pics

Post by Glen »

Now thats the way you make a good 1st impression!! :mrgreen:

Welcome to the Forum!! :wink:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

Awesome story!! Nice looking yote as well.

Another shooter using the Nikko 6-24x56 scope....is this your only one?
Njanear
.204 Ruger Guns: NEF

Post by Njanear »

Welcome to the forum, and Congrats! That was a great story and a nice looking coyote.
foxwhistler
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington L.V.S.F

Post by foxwhistler »

Welcome to the forum Funbronco.I dont know much about coyote`s,not having any over here in the U.K,But It certainly looks on the large size.How much would you reckon he weighs.
You were certainly right about us liking photo`s :D .Jamie
I only have to be lucky once,
the fox has to be lucky every time!
Verminator2
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS 24" stainless fluted.

Post by Verminator2 »

Welcome to the forum!! Congrats on the dog, sure looks like a nice one, WTG! BTW, if you can't stop them by lip squeeking you can whistle like you were calling a dog, or you can woof/bark at them like a dog to make them stop.
Bomb Squad: If you see me running, try and keep up
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Welcome aboard Funbronco! Good to have you here with us to share the fun....cool that you did your homework first, and came completely equipped with a great story and pics too! You've been paying attention! :lol:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Funbronco
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS

Post by Funbronco »

Thanks for the warm welcome. Yes this is my first Coyote, He weighed 43 pounds. I am thinking any more noise than a lip squeak will just make them bolt as jumpy as they are around here. I love that scope, the illuminated retical is perfect for night hunts. I have taken many foxes at night with this rig. I had a Mueller 8.5 x 25 x 50 Eradicator on it before this. It was also a great scope but a little to high on power for night hunting and the ill. ret. was just a dot that didn't work to well with my eyes. It worked great during the day, I was able to take 159 Groundhogs over the summer with my best shot ranged at 468 yards.
This is so much fun I can hardly stand it!!
Verminator2
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS 24" stainless fluted.

Post by Verminator2 »

That's a Huge dog around here. You may be right about stopping them, I wouldn't know as I don't live in PA. Good luck on future kills.
Bomb Squad: If you see me running, try and keep up
Ray P
.204 Ruger Guns: 2-Rem 700 and Ruger#1 S/S

Post by Ray P »

Funbronco.............Welcome and Congrads.............You'll find a great bunch here. Stories and pics are always welcome.
Congrads on the trophy yote and another "one" for 204!!!
Guys here in my neck of the wood are using dogs and shotguns. The largest I heard them get was a 48lb male about a month ago.
Later
Ray P
Life is an adventure and often to short. Make the most with family and friends. Shoot often and shoot a small hole. Love the 204 Ruger!! NRA Life Member
"We are never to old to learn"