Thoughts on the .300 RCM and the .338 RCM?

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
204Shooter
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77II Ultralight

Thoughts on the .300 RCM and the .338 RCM?

Post by 204Shooter »

I know that this post probably belongs in the "Centerfire Rifles" forum, but I wanted to post it here so more people could comment on it.

Just wanted your thoughts on the new Ruger calibers. I own a .270 WSM and my feelings on it have been mixed. I feel that the biggest disadvantage is that it does not feed smoothly from the magazine. One time, it jammed momentarily as I was jacking another round into the chamber after shooting an elk. I am not sure if this problem is inherent to the cartridge or just Ruger's kludgy attempt of controlled round feeding. Also, to get the accuracy, I have to use a mild load so my velocity is not much more than a standard .270 Win.

However, the RCM calibers intrigue me for the following reasons:

1. The RCMs do not use a rebated rim like the short mags do from Winchester and Remington. This may not be a big deal, but if given the choice, a non-rebated rim is best due to feeding reliability issues. A non-rebated rim will always have more "grip" on the back of the cartridge for the bolt to push against while feeding the round out of the magazine and into the chamber.

2. The new RCM cartridges will also not be subject to the Jamison royalties. This has already hurt the current WSM cartridges and, over time, may migrate people over to the RCMs.

3. The RCM cartridges are a little smaller in diameter than their counterparts, possibly allowing better feeding from the magazine.

4. And the biggest reason the RCMs are of interest to me is the anticipation of Ruger expanding their line to other calibers, such as the .264. The shooting industry has been waiting for someone to come out with a rifle in a long-range .264 caliber. Many use the .260 Rem but the preferred caliber is the 6.5x284. No one makes a production rifle in this caliber so it must be a custom gun. The RCM cartridge may be a perfect platform to build the ultimate .264 long-range rifle. It would be very similar to the 6.5x284 but with a little more umph and no rebated rim! I think it could be very well accepted (if done right)!

I know that Ruger is a little late to the dance, but can the small advantages and arguably better implementation of a "short magnum" be enough for the RCM to survive in one form or another? What are your thoughts?
Marriage is the only sport where the trapped animal has to buy the license! ... Just kiddin honey! :hail:
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Re: Thoughts on the .300 RCM and the .338 RCM?

Post by glenn asher »

I think they'll need a BIG shoehorn and some good grease to find a hole in the thirty caliber lineup, to fit "yet another" cartridge into. Not quite as crowded in the .338 lineup, so maybe that one would be useful, I don't know, since I don't hunt anything bigger than whitetails. Honestly, I don't see them going very far, but I didn't see the point to the WSMs and WSSMs, either (hey, I was half-right! :lol: ) I have never seen the need for the "short magnums", except to generate sales to keep struggling companies in business, and I think they'd be better off working the smaller cartridges for variety, since WAY more smaller caliber stuff is shot each year than a few "deer and elk" rounds. How many elk cartridges do we need anyhow?
I just don't see any points to yet another 7mm or .30 round (.30T/C???????) being brought out. The field's too crowded as is.
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
204Shooter
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77II Ultralight

Post by 204Shooter »

I agree with you Glenn. I don't think the .300 RCM will last. The .338 might since that is what everyone seemed to want when Winchester released the .325 WSM. It's the potential for other calibers, smaller ones, that intrigues me.
Marriage is the only sport where the trapped animal has to buy the license! ... Just kiddin honey! :hail:
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

204Shooter wrote: The shooting industry has been waiting for someone to come out with a rifle in a long-range .264 caliber. Many use the .260 Rem but the preferred caliber is the 6.5x284. No one makes a production rifle in this caliber so it must be a custom gun.

Savage and Cooper chamber for 6.5x284.
Now if your speaking of a hunting rifle for trekking the mountains you can definitely rule out the Savage :lol:

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

jo191145 wrote:
204Shooter wrote: The shooting industry has been waiting for someone to come out with a rifle in a long-range .264 caliber. Many use the .260 Rem but the preferred caliber is the 6.5x284. No one makes a production rifle in this caliber so it must be a custom gun.

Savage and Cooper chamber for 6.5x284.
Now if your speaking of a hunting rifle for trekking the mountains you can definitely rule out the Savage :lol:

Cannot rule out the Savage.....IF...you buy the optional 2 wheel cart and the Siberian Husky!!!
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Brian: I think the only way the RCM's will survive is if some other rifle manufacturers pick the calibers up and chamber for them. If the rifles and brass are propritary, sales will suffer.

As Glen mentioned, I don't hold much hope for the .30RCM either, as the caliber is covered ad nauseum, but the .338 may be a different story, albeit in lesser numbers than the established 338's available now.

I resisted the WSM and short mag craze, waiting to see how it all shook out, and today I don't own one, don't plan to either. All the deer, antelope, moose and elk I've killed have been with non-magnum calibers, so don't really see a need to add one to my battery. My father, uncles, and my cousins and I all killed our winter game up in BC with what the current crop of shooters would call "lesser calibers". But those critters are still dead. ;)

You just have to ask yourself: "Do I really need a magnum?" :chin:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Post by Hotshot »

I work part time at a local gun shop. Western Montana is great big game hunting. Our best selling hunting rifles are the Rugers. The favorite cartridge though is the 300WSM. Obviously we couldn't put the two together since Ruger didn't chamber for the WSM. The new Hawkeyes in the RCM chamberings are going to do well. If the market is too crowded something else will lose out, not the Ruger. I predict there will be other calibers introduced on this case and other manufacturers will pick them up. A 6.5RCM would be awesome.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Brian/204 Shooter: One point I neglected to make, and it's a strong one in favor of the RCM's, is that the case is a much more sensible design compared to the WSM's, or the soon do die WSSM's (I know of no one in these parts that shoot them...can you say "barrel burner"?).

The RCM's have no belt (thank you!), should feed much more reliably due to their case design, no rebated rim, they headspace on the shoulder (has been mentioned), and a case capacity that is more than the 'standard' cases, but not so much as to be grossly overbore for caliber, thereby making them much more pratical.

As usual, the fate of them will rest on sales from Ruger and Hornady. If the sales are brisk, then other rifle and ammo makers will tool up for them. But if not, they'll be propriatary only, and their future will be much less uncertain. For those that feel they really need a magnum to get it done, these may be among the best choices out there, especially when the list of available calibers grows. As Hotshot mentioned, a 6.5mm RCM would get the attention of alot of people. Just look at the following for the 6.5-284.......
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails