Bright and Shinny?

Discussion about rifle scopes, spotting scopes and binoculars.
Critter
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger #1B .204, Ruger 77/44,

Bright and Shinny?

Post by Critter »

Humorously, I am just waiting for a Black mat finished scope to be characterized by the term "Bright and Shinny."

I see "clear and bright", "Crystal Clear", etc used when what I sure they are attempting to describe is Contrast and Resolution.

This is not of course a criticism of the average poster, but more of a lack of general input from those optics guru's here abouts who could help with the education of these individuals as to what to look for.

Scope manufacturers that in fact think that people are looking for clear and bright scopes may in fact be doing a disservice to their clients in that a scope may be overly contrasty and provide optics which interfere with target definition. Similarly while a scope may appear "clear" to the novice eye, it may have resolution numbers which are far from those desired in professional optics.

Just my $.02. Comments?? :)
OldTurtle
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage mod. 116 and Custom .204 AR

Re: Bright and Shinny?

Post by OldTurtle »

So,,, What specifications should we be using for evaluation??

I can only pick one up, look through it, check for fuzziness around the edges when looking a the pattern on a brick wall and see if I can count the imperfections in the mortar and alignment of the bricks... providing it meets my needs in field of view and magnification...

I have a pair of 1943 Navy binoculars that are much clearer than anything I've seen on the market in a long time, without getting into the price range that a sane, every day guy can't afford. I would have not idea of how to evaluate the difference other than to physically look though them...
AR
Factory/Factory
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Critter: By chance do you really mean "bright and shiny"? I'm not sure how "shinny" would apply to an optical device, except maybe to shinny up a scope, as one would shinny up a tree. (That would indeed be quite a large scope!)

By the same token, are you sure "contrasty" is actually a word? Using the same nit-picking criteria, when referring to a scope's finish, the finish you refer to is usually listed as "matte". Come on Dave, the guys here are just everyday guys, and no one here claims to be either an optical expert, or a literature professor...... humorously or not, give us a break. :|
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Critter

Post by Critter »

Yes, of course matte and shiny. Oops, I misspelled them. Please feel free to correct my spelling anytime. :D

What brought this up is that I looked at a Winchester Scope the other day that appeared bright and clear. Amazing at first blush and only $49.95. Then I looked at a dollar bill the guy had tacked above the counter and the thing blended into a blur at 50 feet or so. I was looking for a scope for my new Ruger 1B in .204

The pattern on a brick wall is a good start for looking at resolution, but it is only a start. We are looking at lines per inch at 100 yards for example. That dollar bill is better because it's features are much finer than the lines on a brick wall.

How do I describe Contrast? I look for mellow scopes not "Bright ones". Easier on the eye when observing the target. Has to do with coatings and other things.

"No one here claims to be an optical expert." My point exactly, but perhaps some of this discussion might prove relevant to those looking at optics and making a comparison.

PS: I actually have a bright and shiny scope, it is a Weaver 2.5x stainless steel long eye relief scope purchased many years ago for my S&W 629 6".

Only takes some low light work with contrast charts and some resolution work with acuity charts to quickly separate the fair from the good from the best in optics. Most here are fully aware of how to do that, the optics guru's on [another site] are second to none on the internet IMHO. Give scope manufactures more credit, they know full well the lines they walk in color correction and contrast when competing with one another. They also realize how much more savvy the average scope purchaser is now then just ten years ago when scopes were bought by brand name rather than features and optics......If I were a first time purchaser with little to no optical experience I would only hope to find a sight like this to ask help on than some of the other leading sites where ridicule and superiority rule.....

Focus
Last edited by Critter on Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Critter: No worries on the spelling, mate. ;)

I have some "bright and shiny" scopes too, Leupold M8's, gloss finish. You can spot them in the field on a sunny day from 1,000 yards away....they're the ones reflecting sunlight off that bright and shiny finish all over the landscape. :eek:

And 'yes', scope buyers today are much more enlightened than from years back. The industry has given us such excellent optics lately, that choosing a suitable scope is now an excercise in both features AND optics; so much excellent material to choose from.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Critter

Post by Critter »

Here, if you want to have some fun print out the following and put it down range. See how many lines you can resolve at what size. Useful for comparing two scopes as well:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e ... target.jpg
ulen mn
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varmint

Post by ulen mn »

After reading this topic maybe I am out of my leauge in asking questions in portion of the forum critter you are brutal I am sorry that some of us novice people offend your inteligence with poor terminaligy and improper use of technical terms but we are here to learn and in order for us to learn we have to be corrected from time to time by knolegable people such as yourself and others. I for one have learned alot on the 204um and a attitude or should I say remarks like above could sway someone that I could learn something from away from here and that just aint right. sorry if this sounds like a repremand it really is not, its just my 2 cents worth. Go ahead RIO i'll let you correct my spelling I know its bad BUT I can read grade stakes and build a heck of a road LOL ......... sorry Critter just had to get this off my chest Ulen MN
Rick AKA Ulen MN
NRA Life Member
Critter

Post by Critter »

ulen MN wrote:After reading this topic maybe I am out of my league in asking questions in portion of the forum critter you are brutal I am sorry that some of us novice people offend your intelligence with poor terminology and improper use of technical terms but we are here to learn and in order for us to learn we have to be corrected from time to time by knowledgeable people such as yourself and others. I for one have learned alot on the 204um and a attitude or should I say remarks like above could sway someone that I could learn something from away from here and that just ain't right. sorry if this sounds like a reprimand it really is not, its just my 2 cents worth. Go ahead RIO I'll let you correct my spelling I know its bad BUT I can read grade stakes and build a heck of a road LOL ......... sorry Critter just had to get this off my chest Ulen MN
So print out the target referenced above and post it at 100 yards and see what sort of resolution you get. It's not rocket science as you suggest, but I find it a little irritating that people continue to post opinions of this that and the other with very little science involved and when as you suggest there are those here that could help.