1:10 twist?

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
Super 91

Re: 1:10 twist?

Post by Super 91 »

"Over stabilizing a bullet" that remains intact to the target is a myth.... It doesn't happen... Too much spin for the bullet jacket may occur, but that is not over stabilization when the jacket ruptures from too many RPM's...

-BCB
I'm speaking of a bullet that comes apart mid-flight. If it makes it to the target and is on target, then I would think there wouldn't be a problem.

Define "overstabilization" please.

And can you provide the term for when a bullet comes apart from spinning too fast as noted above?
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

Overstabilization does not exist. Understabilizing will show key holes.

On the other hand a bullet will literally blow up if the jacket gets damaged from a rough bore & is spinning at an extremely high RPM. Many many years ago my Uncle blew up some PSP's out of his Swift with max loads.

BANG!! :D

ZIIIING!! :chin:

OOPS!! :lol:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

When I built my custom rifle I chose a 1:12 twist because it gave me a bit more velocity without having to worry about jackets flying apart. Unless you are going to be shooting some loooong bullets, a 1:12 twist makes good sense. Velocity is what makes a 204 a 204.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
WrzWaldo
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100 / Savage-Douglas-Richards

Post by WrzWaldo »

Super 91 wrote: Define "overstabilization" please.
Stabilization has two states: 0 = Not Stabilized and 1 = Stabilized

A bullet can have "excessive gyroscopic stability". What that means is the bullet will point in the direction it was shot from throughout its trajectory. If you were to shoot a bullet at a very high angle and induce "excessive gyroscopic stability" the bullet will in fact land base first. It does this because the "excessive gyroscopic stability" will not let the bullet nose over at the top of the trajectory arc.

Bullet failure because of excessive RPM/Velocity is just that, Bullet Failure.
Bayou City Boy

Post by Bayou City Boy »

WzWaldo is correct on the issue of excessive gyroscopic stability. However, since most of us shoot at targets (both live and paper) that are located on or near the surface of the earth, EGS does not normally come into play. However if someone turned their 204 Ruger into an anti-aircraft weapon of sorts, then it would apply and be a factor to deal with.... on a "running" (or maybe flying) coyote angel, perhaps.... :wink:

If there's an interest.....The attached link is a good source of information on how and why a bullet remains stable in flight.....

http://www.nennstiel-ruprecht.de/bullfl ... tm#Figures

Some folks will probably find it interesting. For others it might cure insomnia... :D

-BCB