Started (relatively) Long Range Shooting....

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
savage rookie
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV, Savage VLP

Started (relatively) Long Range Shooting....

Post by savage rookie »

Well, like most people I grew bored with punching paper at 100 yards, so I've decided to stretch it out a ways. I've been shooting my varmint calibers out to 400 yards on steel, and two months ago when my dad stopped by on his way home from Maine, we went 17 for 20 on clay birds at 375 yards.

A couple of weeks ago a friend of mine and I took my .204 and his .308 out and did some longer stuff on steel. It was a cold day, but very little wind. We shot the .204 out to 300 yards (wanted to shoot more but fingers were getting cold) and the .308 out to 640 yards.

The gear-
Savage vlp .204, 6-18x Burris, 40g Hornady/HSM
Rem 700 .308 by Losok custom rifles, 10x ss, 168gr amax

Friend ranging back to the truck after ranging to the target...note to self: get better RF.

My hit at 640 yards, longest ever taken in earnest, 1st round.

Photoeditor Fun...

The handle of the axe comes from the tree it chops.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Started (relatively) Long Range Shooting....

Post by Rick in Oregon »

SR: Congrats, you'll be hooked before you know it. We shoot our 204's on ground squirrels as far as we can see the rats, hits past 500 yards are do-able, but dependant on the wind conditions.

We practice out in the open desert as much as possible with our 308 tactical rifles to keep in shape for both varmints and big game. Punching "head-size" rocks out to 800 yards really keeps you on your toes, and is satisfying when you hear that "thunk".

The target here is one of those "insurgent rocks" out just past 640 yards on the rock rim. He never knew what hit him either. ;) Keep up your practice. After a few outings, you'll really gain alot of confidence with that rifle. Good riflemen are what made this country strong and free from invasion.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

savage rookie

Post by savage rookie »

Seeing the paint fleck off, and then waiting to hear the "ting" of the steel was pretty cool. I can't wait to finish my .308.
serpent71
.204 Ruger Guns: xr-100

Post by serpent71 »

my buddy and i did some shooting two weekends ago and shot out to 625 with his .223 and my 204 he was able to dail his scope and hit gallon milk jugs every time and i couldn't dail my scope to that range but i did hit a jug at that range its great to know you can shoot that far
savage rookie

Post by savage rookie »

It's pretty amazing to be able to shoot that far and actually hit what one is aiming at. I come from the mountains of NE WA and a long shot there is 200 yards. I'm pretty proud of how far I've come in the past few months.