New to the forum

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
crtlndbb
.204 Ruger Guns: none

New to the forum

Post by crtlndbb »

Hey guys I am new to the whole varmint hunting. I am looking into buying a 204 and I was just looking for some suggestions. I am looking to spend around 600-700 dollars. I would like stainless barrel with a sunthetic stock. I really like the new ruger hawkeye but Im not sure if i should get a heavey barrel with a varmint gun. I plan on hunting mainley fox and yotes, maybe a trip to try pd hunting one day. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks
Eric
Vartarg
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 77MkII Target, Remington LVSF

Re: New to the forum

Post by Vartarg »

Welcome to the forum!!! Sounds like you're on the right track. For foxes and coyotes, a heavy varmint is going to be a lot to lug around. The Ruger idea is good, but also check out the Savage 16FSS, which lists for $612 and has the Accutrigger. Good luck.
PEACE-Through Superior Firepower
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

Welcome to the Forum!!!! :wink: Sounds like you want a CZ527 Varmint. It has a medium weight barrel & comes in at 7 1/4lbs in walnut & 7 1/2lbs with the Kevlar stock. The Kevlar appears to be a dark grey with lighter gray lines thru it like spider webbing lines.

HTH
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Lee C.

Post by Lee C. »

welcome to the forum crtlndbb, The guys gave you some good advice about the savage or cz there bouth good shooting guns. I'm more on the savage side of things. But go to some gun shop an see witch one you like best. Good luck on your pick.
GlennGTR
.204 Ruger Guns: 77 ultralight all weather

Post by GlennGTR »

My pick is the Ruger 77 mk 2 ultra lite all weather.Stainless steel,synthetic stock weighs just 6.25 lbs and shoots dime size groups.The Rugers also come with rings so you save about 50 bones there for ammo or other accesories Good luck and good hunting.
bullfrog
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 MarkII All Weather Ultralight

Post by bullfrog »

I'm with GlennGTR. I love mine for yotes because it's a nice light walking around gun. The heavy's are great for squirrels and pdogs, but if you have to carry it much, get something light.
However, if you do go the ruger mkII route you might want to replace the trigger. I put a timney in mine and am very happy with it now.
Let us know what you get!
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul.
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

If stainless isn't an absolute, look into those Savage Predators that are in another thread, the paint job will protect the metal very well, and they are fairly light and comfortable to carry around, too.
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
crtlndbb
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by crtlndbb »

I ended up getting the new ruger 77 hawkeye. I also have a bushnell 3200 elite scope on order. So thsnks for the help guys. Cant wait to get out and test this thing out.
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

Actually we're all just waiting for the accuracy bug to bite you. When it does, we'll be here to help spend your money for ya'. Who knew, that the 204 Ruger would end up being a great bench cartridge on top of being an awesome varmint cartridge.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em