turret or single stage

Share information about reloading the 204 Ruger.
brokeasajoke
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem VSSF II .204 VX-III 8.5-25 side focus tgt dot

turret or single stage

Post by brokeasajoke »

Whats your opinion? Turret or single? I've heard turret presses are not as accurate as a single stage. I havent ever read or been told how much accuracy is comprimised. Are these quick chang die presses accurate and reliable. These might be some novice questions but that is what i am. thanx
Sagebrush Burns
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 Long Range Precision Varminter

Re: turret or single stage

Post by Sagebrush Burns »

A turret press has a built in "flex factor" that a single stage and particularly an "O" configuration does not. This potentially makes for less precision and uniformity in loads. Probably doesn't make much difference in pistol rounds but might be important to varmint rifle accuracy.
huntsman22
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger 77VT and ruger mkII Ultralite

Post by huntsman22 »

I use single stage . 1 for universal decapping, 1 for sizing, and one for seating.......
OldTurtle
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage mod. 116 and Custom .204 AR

Post by OldTurtle »

I have three presses:
1) An old Pacific "C" style that I use for pulling bullets, swagging, and taking to a range as a portable loading press when trying new loads.
2) A Lee 1000 progressive that I use for my handgun loads, when I need to load 400-500rds fairly quickly. and
3) A Forster Co-Ax that I use with their BenchRest dies for producing some highly accurate rifle loads.

I tried to set my Lee 1000 up for loading quantities of .223 and the powder dispenser keeps mashing my brass... I'm needing to buy another powder dispenser and right now is not a good time financially.
AR
Factory/Factory
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

huntsman - there has to be a great story behind the baseball sitting on top of the Lyman tumbler.

Like your setup as well...assembly line at it's best!
huntsman22

Post by huntsman22 »

acloco, No big story..... Just a baseball shot with a .204, 40 gr. vmax by one of my boys. We took a bunch of different balls out to shoot, from golf balls to basketballs. I liked that one best......... A deflated basketball just wouldn't look right perched there :D My setup is portable, left over from my nomadic cowboy days. I haul it out to the ranch if I need to work up loads, now. It sits in my bedroom, and takes up little room. Has everything I need except that blue press........ Don
acloco

Post by acloco »

Your setup looks VERY nice.

metal? Wood? combination?

How heavy?

Seriously, it took you some time to work up to that setup...looks great and it fits in such a small footprint of an area.

I am your neighbor to the east - western side of Nebraska - Sandhills region.
huntsman22

Post by huntsman22 »

acloco, The stand is an old truckstop cafe, steel table base, the top is a piece of 1/4 steel, covered with 1/2 inch rubber. It weighs maybe a little over 100 lbs. I know it is easier to set it in the back of a dodge dakota, than it is to lift it all the way up to the tailgate of a '99 ford superduty :D You are right, tho... It did take while to get it how I thought it should be. I started with an old pacific C-press (the one with the shell holder made in the ram). It was ok for loading my 22-250 and .270. But .222 and .223 wouldn't fit, hence the rcbs RC. The juniors and one measure were bought used. Everything, except the micrometer adjustment for one measure, were bought before I was married in '85. I doubt that I have $300 in the whole shebang. Someday I may clean this stuff out and get the forster and dillon stuff. But, until then, it has worked great and continues to put out some fine reloads. I seen you sold a lot of stuff lately, what have you finally settled on? Don
acloco

Post by acloco »

Don,
Would really like to see a pattern for the top (or at least dimensions with an overhead picture).

Use a Rock Chucker, CoAx, and a blue Dillon for presses. Forster for all of the case prep stuff, with the exception of 223 cases - Possum Hollow or Lee cut the brass to length. RCBS and Redding for powder measures. Hornady & Acculab for scales. Hornady, RCBS, & Redding for dies.
huntsman22

Post by huntsman22 »

My top is 30 inches wide x 12 inches deep, with a 6x8 inch 'ear' on the right where the trimmer stuff is. It's easier to just tell ya, than clean it off and take a pic........
acloco

Post by acloco »

LOL! Thanks.

Sorry to thump on this thread.