"SPF"- 26" Savage Stainless NON-FLUTED .204 Barrel

Discuss, trade, swap, sell or buy stuff!
Carvera
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage

"SPF"- 26" Savage Stainless NON-FLUTED .204 Barrel

Post by Carvera »

I bought this barrel for the rarity of it being a stainless Savage factory barrel that doesn't have the flutes like so many of them do. This is a heavy/varmint contoured barrel.

Barrel has been fired around 300.

I am asking $150 shipped.

I have a complete Savage bolt head (.204/.223) that I can throw in for an additional $30.

At this time I cannot sell the bolt head, or bullets before selling off the barrel. If the buyer of the barrel declines on the bolt head/or bullets they will then be sold separately after.

I know I'm new here, but I have many references. I frequent quite a few other forums and was told by some buddies over at http://savageshooters.baker-media.com/S ... /index.php that this may be a good place to list this barrel.

Thanks,
Carlos
Last edited by Carvera on Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
savage rookie
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV, Savage VLP

Re: F/S - 26" Savage Stainless NON-FLUTED .204 Barrel

Post by savage rookie »

if buyer doesn't want the bullets I'll take first dibs! if info is correct: 250 40g loaded rounds correct?
The handle of the axe comes from the tree it chops.
Carvera

Post by Carvera »

savage rookie wrote:if buyer doesn't want the bullets I'll take first dibs! if info is correct: 250 40g loaded rounds correct?

That would be quite a deal wouldn't it :eek: ..... What I have listed is a box of 250 Hornady V-Max 40 grain bullets that would need to be loaded.

I guess I didn't word it right in my previous post?
savage rookie
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV, Savage VLP

Post by savage rookie »

lol, I figured that was the case but thought I'd rather be safe than sorry about missing a deal like that!
The handle of the axe comes from the tree it chops.
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

Interesting.

What size is the barrel at the threads? Large or small style Savage?

Is there a step from the barrel to the threads? If so, this is the large style Savage...and will fit less than 5% of the Savage rifles out there.
Carvera

Post by Carvera »

acloco wrote:Interesting.

What size is the barrel at the threads? Large or small style Savage?

Is there a step from the barrel to the threads? If so, this is the large style Savage...and will fit less than 5% of the Savage rifles out there.
The barrel is a standard (small) shank that uses the 1.055" x 20tpi threads. This barrel will fit on a regular Savage action. It will not fit the WSM, RUM, SAUM, LRPV and F-Class Savage rifles. I believe that they use the 1.120" x 20tpi threads.

Hope that helps...
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

Perfect.

Thanks for the info.
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Post by Hotshot »

PM sent
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

Carvera
Welcome to the forum. And I do mean that.

Unfourtunately I also have one of those barrels. Paid quite a hefty price for it too. $225 or thereabouts from Savageparts.com. (now defunct) This was before the days of Northlander.
To use this unmarked tube (some proofmarks only) in factory class competition The match director wanted some verification it actually was a Savage tube.
Savage parts quarenteed in writing it was Savage. Savage said absolutely not.
Knowing just a little about Savage QC its apparent that the only way it could be a genuine Savage tube and left the factory unfluted and not completely rollmarked is if it is a reject.
I think someone was raiding the Savage scrap steel pile and reselling them.
Just my opinion, absolutely no proof of that.
Savageparts went belly up not long after my inquiry to Savage.

If you have another theory I'd be glad to hear it.
Just thought the folks on this forum should know.

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
Carvera

Post by Carvera »

jo191145 ,

Thank you for the welcome!

Little history on the barrel;

I bought this barrel from Jim Baker, aka Mr.Furious. I was told by Jim that this was indeed a Savage factory barrel and therefore took his word on it. I respect Jim very much for what he is, and does for Savage centerfire shooters like myself. I bought the barrel with the intent on shooting it, but instead went with a couple of .223 builds for my sons.

I know of the barrels that you speak of. I've bought a few from Numrich Gun Parts, (they do have quite a few available still) but I can assure you this is not like one of the barrels you talk of.

So for all you folks on the forum who may doubt me, or this barrel here are some pictures; I can send anyone more if you would like?

I don't mind if anyone has a question to ask, ask away. I'm finding out some of you here are a tough crowd! Thought I would post here where there are many .204 users, but maybe I'll just go back to where I came from?

Carlos
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Post by Hotshot »

Don't scare off so easy Carvera we just have a hard time trusting a new guy who would rather shoot a 223 instead of a 204. This is a great bunch and we really look out for each other. You are welcome here and I think you would really like this forum. Most of us have other guns and there is some very high levels of experience and knowledge within this bunch.

Mark
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

I'll take your word for it too Carvera.
The pics tell a thousand words. I see yours was rollstamped with the Savage emblem.
Mine is not. Thats how I determined mine was rejected after proof firing and before being mounted to an action. Learned all about thier procedures over on Savage Shooters myself. Forgot most of it but I think thats how it worked.
And your right, I remember reading a post from Mr Furious (I think) that Numrich bought up Savageparts inventory.
I quess there would'nt be much reason for Savage to rollstamp the barrel if it was going to the scrap bin.
I apologize for any inconveinance or hard feelings but I was just trying to protect the members here. I had to make a judgement call. Speak up or shut up. I'm sure you would have done the same.
This is really one of the most civil forums running. Stick around. Oh yeah, dump the 223 and fire up a 204 ;)

Carvera

Post by Carvera »

Gentleman,

I want to apologize for coming off the way I did eariler today. It's been a rough week. My wife has got me on some crazy diet, I've been waking up at 5:00 AM to get to the gym because she say's I need to get rid of some of my "winter weight", I'm thinking to myself, "What winter weight?"

I just had one of those moments where I was cranky, and took it out on the keyboard and came off sounding way too defensive.

I apologize for sounding haste.

I'm like many of you guy's, I would rather be taking my frustrations out on some varmints than a keyboard or any fellow shooter(s).

I'll be sticking around and reading up what I can here. I'm that kid in the classroom that just sits in the back and listens to the lesson at hand. I don't pipe up too much, I basically observe and take what I can out of all of these forums.

Thanks,
Carlos
Carvera

Post by Carvera »

Barrel is "SPF",

Thanks guys,

Carlos
jo191145

Re: "SPF"- 26" Savage Stainless NON-FLUTED .204 Barrel

Post by jo191145 »

Actually Carlos I think you handled it quite well. I fully expected my computer to burst into flames when I turned it on after work. Glad to see you sold the barrel. I quess :huh: Still not sure why anyone would want to sell a 204 tube.

Diet, excercise, gym? What are these things of which you speak? Shedding Winter weight in early November? Theres something strange going on here.
At around 40 years my winter weight decided to settle down and spend the summer with me too :lol: