.221 Fireball

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Re: .221 Fireball

Post by Glen »

YEP!! :mrgreen: Back of the head walking away from me. :lol:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Rambler

Post by Rambler »

Hawkeye Thats a nice rifle If I'm not mistaken Berger makes a 35 in 22 cal.. I'm sure they did. I bet the fireball will be a great rifle to shoot..
Bayou City Boy

Post by Bayou City Boy »

Life isn't complete without a 221 Fireball...or two...

-BCB
Last edited by Bayou City Boy on Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:20 am, edited 3 times in total.
WHISTLEPIG

Post by WHISTLEPIG »

I don’t have one but my brother has two. A Savage loaner I can shoot any time and his custom Miller I can shoot some time. He does not have a 204 so when we get together to shoot there is a lot of rifle swapping going on. I have to say that the 221 is a blast to shoot. The cartridge is about as cool looking as it gets. If they ever make my Sako 85 in 204 the next one will be a 221. I am leaving on 11/7 for three weeks in CA and we plan at least three trips to the ranch which the owner (cousin) has said is “overrun” with squirrels. His boy and all his friends who used to shoot the heck out of the 25,000 acre property have grown up and are consumed by the 30 something life of new marriages and new children. That just leaves the old guys to go.

Here is a picture of the Miller.

Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

WP: Sounds like a grand trip coming up! Better take some Bag Balm for that trigger finger! ;) Over the years I've had two Sako Vixens built in 221FB, traded both off some years ago, and am still kicking myself for letting them go....sure miss those sweet little rifles in that neat caliber.

Have a great trip, take lots of ammo, your camera, and come home safe. :wink:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

Made it out to shoot the rounds I was given with the gun. That's a cool little round :D . The only issues I had is difficulty feeding from the magazine and dents on the case mouth faces. We'll do some chamber measurements and see what's going on in there.Here is the 100 yard target.
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)
Savage model 10 Predator, 3-9 Nikon Omega
07 LRPV, 35X45 Leupold Competition

glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

Feeding the Fireball case is always an issue with the Remington action, it's really too long for the case. It's plagued Remington all along, some rifles feed smoothly, and some don't. My CZ feeds from the single column magazine pretty well, but the double column of the Remingtons aren't quite as forgiving. I wish I had an answer for that, so's I could make a bunch of money, but life ain't workin' that way today.

When you get those Noslers shot up, try some V-Maxes, I haven't seen one yet that didn't shoot them better than the Noslers (but those groups look pretty good!) My rifle favors the 50 gr. SPSX over all the others, a fairly short, softpoint with a thin jacket. It happens to be one of my favorite bullets for slow twist, mild velocities. The fact they cost less than a polytip makes me smile, too. They are really tender and make PDs go splat very nicely.
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
Bayou City Boy

Post by Bayou City Boy »

DANG....! Why do I always get the Remingtons that don't work like everyone wants them to... ?

My LVSF feeds and ejects the 221 FB cartridge without a hitch . And at one time I had a Rem 600 action custom barreled in 221 Rem FB, and it fed fine also... Just my luck.....!

In contrast, the action on my CZ 221 FB is rough and you have to cycle the action fairly fast to get it to feed reliably from the external magazine.

JMO - BCB
Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

The dents on the case mouth face is happening durring ejection. ... Hmmm.. Can I say that :duh: :lol: ..When the case pulls all the way out of chamber it scrapes the face, Then slams hard on the action wall. Can I reduce the spring pressure on the ejector pin???
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)
Savage model 10 Predator, 3-9 Nikon Omega
07 LRPV, 35X45 Leupold Competition

Vartarg
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 77MkII Target, Remington LVSF

Post by Vartarg »

Re .221 Fireball brass.....no one has any, including Sinclair...just checked. Midway has even removed it from their product listing....whereas it used to be an "out of stock....no backorder" item...glad I've got the form dies to make my 20VT out of .223.
PEACE-Through Superior Firepower