Went hunting for Porky, but nailed Basil and friend

Talk about hunting the hunters and their prey.
Drew Jaeger
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 VSSF II

Went hunting for Porky, but nailed Basil and friend

Post by Drew Jaeger »

A bit of a late post, fellas. A mate and I have been out hunting the hills in search of swine. We have seen old sign of pigs in the area before. Unfortunately the darn wind was against us from the start, so we had to swing out wide and around to get the wind in our favour.

As we were stalking in, a vixen presented herself. She was casually walking perpendicular to our direction coming over a slight rise. She was only ~70m away unaware of our presence. I assessed we were still over a kilometre away from the pig area with the wind blowing to us, so I slowly cycled the 700 action. The 243 round made a "clink" during chambering which pricked her ears and she subsequently change direction,... straight to me! At ~30 paces she received an 85gr pill to the scone.

We eventually got to the piggie area which comprised of a spring feed marsh. All the sign was present and very fresh. It was only seconds after I took a photo when there was pig movement in the blackberry. There was a big honk and definite movement, but the blackberry was thick and extensive, neither of us could see him for a shot.

Unfortunately the light was failing fast and we had a couple of kilometres to cover returning to the vehicle. Alas, we had to abandon the pursuit of porky.

We'll get him next time.
Cheers

Drew

"Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."
Drew Jaeger

Re: Went hunting for Porky, but nailed Basil and friend

Post by Drew Jaeger »

Same area, different day. Another Basil succumbs to the 243. This victim was on the run up a scrubby basalt rock laden hill and made the fatal mistake of looking back when I whistled. She was belted with the standard 85gr HPBT load through the right shoulder at 100yds.

Cheers

Drew

"Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."
Verminator2
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS 24" stainless fluted.

Post by Verminator2 »

WTG, nice shots.
Bomb Squad: If you see me running, try and keep up
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

Nice pics and story.

Red tape to keep rain out of the muzzle or some other function?
Drew Jaeger

Post by Drew Jaeger »

acloco wrote:Red tape to keep rain out of the muzzle or some other function?
It's an old Sambar hunter's trick. The electrical tape prevents foreign objects (and rain) from entering the barrel. The tape is blown off from forward pressure of the bullet traveling down the barrel – it doesn’t affect accuracy. I only put it on the muzzle when hunting in scrubby areas.
Cheers

Drew

Lee C.

Post by Lee C. »

Nice shots on the fox Drew, And keep the picture's comeing. Thats some pretty nice looking country over there.
mr.theman
.204 Ruger Guns: TC Encore

Post by mr.theman »

Nice shooting and great pics. Thanks for sharing.

Mr.T
My Encore makes coyotes Stop, Drop, and Roll!!!

http://www.okpredatorhunters.com Image