bullet seating q's

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
madracer

bullet seating q's

Post by madracer »

hi, im currently reloading for a 308 f class rifle and am curious about bullet seating. i have heard plenty of information about how far to seat from the lands but not too much about how much projectile has to be in the neck.

currently i am .020 off the lands and this only leaves .166" of the bullet inside the neck (not including the boat tail)

the projectile im using is a 155gr dyer 308 (im told its almost identical to the sierra match king)

cheers for any help
jo191145

Re: bullet seating q's

Post by jo191145 »

Curious as to what brand of F class rifle your using?
I do not usually recommend leaving just a little bullet seated in the neck. One must consider the boat tail also.
The other side of the coin is shoot what works. If it shoots this way do it.
The old rule of thumb is to seat one bullet diameter in the neck = .308 deep. That rule was probably more for hunting ammo tho. At .166 your more than half way. I've seen my long throated barrel shoot some nice groups with 155's with less in the neck. I reserve that barrel for longer pills.

I'm not an F class expert. Around my area there are some 600yd F class shoots. I'll assume you'll be going out to 1000yds. In 155gn bullets I've found the Lapua Scenars offer the longest bearing length followed closely by the Hornady A-Max. You might want to try some of the A-maxs, I've always got great accuracy from them. Pretty cheap too.

F class allows any bullet weight correct? Why not try some of the bigger pills. What twist is your tube? The 178 A-Max offers a big jump in bearing length. I was recently playing with the 208gn A-Maxs. Super accuracy and enough bearing length to tickle the primer. (not really) Accuracy node was right around 2300fps with Viht 150 so they probably would'nt be a good 1000yd load.

Just stay away from the 168 Sierras. They are not designed for long range. Some clubs will not allow thier use past 600yds.

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
madracer

Re: bullet seating q's

Post by madracer »

i am using an omark 7.62 with a black hart barrel (i think)

i think it has a 1 in 12 twist but im not sure.

this is just a cheap rifle i picked up to learn the wind and see if i enjoy the sport.

the omarks a were made in the 70's as a target rifle in australia and are known for shooting extremely well for there price. I tried it out this morning and it puts 5 shots under 10mm at 100yards