New Savage BTVSS

General discussion and information about the 204 Ruger.
Gube
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage VLP and BTVSS. Tikka 3 stainless & grey laminate

New Savage BTVSS

Post by Gube »

Well, I went out and picked up a new 204 a couple of weeks ago (07-07-07)
A Savage 12 BTVSS. Officially, I bought it for my wife as she does liike to shoot paper and we do a couple of competition shoots a year (She won the 300 yd grapefruit shoot last year). Un-officially, I get to shoot it as much as I want. ;)
The first rounds down the pipe were factory 40 gr V-Max. I was quite impressed as I had two groups of 5 at .5 and .35. I could not get the 40 V-max's to shoot out of my VLP. So far it really likes the 39 gr blitz's and the 40 gr noslers (same loads for my VLP).
I just picked up some 32 gr noslers to try out. Don't know if anyone has had any luck using these little pills. I still have to do some load testing for the BTVSS with the hornady 40 and 45 gr and the 32 gr blitz.
The 32 blitz keyholed quite badly out of my VLP. I had to stay below 25.6 gr of RL10X and 28.5 of H-4895. They were really horrible with H-322.
Took both of them out sod poodling and it's great being able to have the extra one for coolong down. I did manage to whack one out to 480 yds (verified with range finder) with the VLP and a 39 gr blitz.
I will try to send some picks out of my new toys. Going on holidays at the end of the week, so it will be a while before I'm back.
Savage Vaporizer
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

Both of my rifles REALLY like all three 32 grain bullets, especially the high dollar ones (all of them :( ). I have no preference, but the Hornady's have been less costly than the others. That Nosler is NICE, easier to load with the boattail, too, my Savage will shoot them all, though. I haven't had time to try it on rodent flesh yet. The Sierra seems to be a bit more flesh-rending on PDs, but when you hit PDs with most anything, they go boom, so it doesn't really matter much. The CZ favors the Sierra by far, so that's what it gets, but I am planning more work with the Nosler when time allows.
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!