Postal Shoot, factory ammo help

Participate in friendly board-wide competitions.
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Postal Shoot, factory ammo help

Post by skipper »

The 204 Ruger forum Postal Shoot is an exciting activity just on the horizon. I have read a couple of posts where some members feel they will be handicapped shooting factory ammo. You don't have to be as handicapped as you think. Here are some tips for wringing out the best performance possible from factory ammo.

Run Out –
One thing that most have found aids accuracy is controlling run out. Even though you can’t control run out in factory ammo, short of some corrective realigning of the bullet, you can still sort your ammo by run out. Measure the run out of your factory ammo. Anything with more than .001 run out should be culled out of your selection. Even if you don’t have a concentricity gauge you can still check for excessive run out by rolling your ammo across a flat surface. Watch the very tip of the bullet as the cartridge rolls. If it wobbles, toss it to the side. You could use those for sighters. Now you have eliminated one variable from your ammo selection.

Lot Number –
Since we will be shooting at three targets for score you may have to go through more than one box of ammo to find enough cartridges for your fifteen shots. Different runs of factory ammo might use different components such as primers or brass with varying thickness. To reduce the probability of large variances from lot to lot, try to buy several boxes of ammo that all have the same lot number. This should keep velocities and pressures more consistent. Consistency is the name of the game.

Weight Sorting –
If you have a scale, weigh each round and sort your match sets by weight. Any cartridge that is more than .5 grain heavier or lighter should be culled from your selection. You should end up with three groups of five rounds. Every round in each group of five should be no more than .1 grain off. Each group of five should be no more than .1 grain different that the other two groups. Now you have eliminated one more variable.

Length Sort –
Even though the 204 Ruger tolerates a little jump to the lands, you should try to keep all your ammo within a fixed Overall Length (OAL) from base to tip. Using a comparator would be even better than measuring from base to tip. It would be best if all your rounds fell within .003 variance.

You may have to sort and re-sort your ammo several times to get three sets of five shots very close in each of the categories mentioned above. This is why you should start with several boxes of ammo. After all, this is an aggregate competition. That means that one small group isn’t going to win. You will have to shoot three small groups to be averaged for an overall aggregate score. The winner will be the shooter that can consistently shoot three small groups. A tie breaker will be decided by the groups most centered in the bulls eye so it would pay for you to zero your scope on the day you shoot. To do that correctly, you are probably going to need a couple more three shot groups. I never shoot one shot and start moving my scope. I shoot a three shot group, measure where the center of the group is and move the center of the group. The reason I do it that way is because my three shot group is a better indication of where the center of errors is. In other words, a three shot group usually reveals my mistakes plus wind conditions. If I normally make a mistake in breathing or trigger control that affects my groups, I will probably make the same mistake while shooting for score. Therefore, it makes more sense to move the whole group than it does to shoot one shot and zero the scope. Besides, how do I know if one shot wasn’t affected by the wind conditions? Consistency is the name of this game. You can stack the odds in your favor if you’re willing to do a little homework before the shoot.

Another tip:
Don’t drink coffee on the day of the shoot. Coffee is a known group killer. Now get out there and do some practicing.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
savage rookie
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV, Savage VLP

Post by savage rookie »

Wow, this is crazy I was just thinking about doing this for my CF's, I already sort my RF's by rim thickness and weight, glad you posted all the other stuff.

sounds like a good way to even the playing feild. consistancy is key.
The handle of the axe comes from the tree it chops.
WrzWaldo
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100 / Savage-Douglas-Richards

Post by WrzWaldo »

Well done skipper!
Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

:wtg: Skipper :shhh: :lol: .. Good post!!
I just got done checking the runout on my loads for the morning shoot.40 grain Bergers and N135
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)
Savage model 10 Predator, 3-9 Nikon Omega
07 LRPV, 35X45 Leupold Competition

BunGhoLeo

Post by BunGhoLeo »

I plan on pulling all the bullets out of the factory ammo and weighing each powder charge and bullet. I'll average all that out then refill the case's with the overall average powder weight then weight sort the bullets and case's. Then when reseating i'll know the bullets are stright. :twisted:

j/k i don't even have my dies or press yet. :cry:
WrzWaldo

Re: Postal Shoot, factory ammo help

Post by WrzWaldo »

skipper wrote: Length Sort –
Even though the 204 Ruger tolerates a little jump to the lands, you should try to keep all your ammo within a fixed Overall Length (OAL) from base to tip. Using a comparator would be even better than measuring from base to tip. It would be best if all your rounds fell within .003 variance.
What's that, you say you don't have a comparator? Guess again! Pull the seater plug out of your seating die and use it (just make sure you don't lose it)! I was lucky enough to have that crappy set of 17RFB dies sitting around so I snagged it out of that die. That one works great for the .17 and .20 bullets (it actually hits further down the ogive than the 20 cal die).

What I have found in sorting bullets is...

Bullets of the same weight are normally very close to the same length, usually within .0005 inches. And bullets of the same length are normally very close in weight. So if you want to sort but are strapped for time pick one (weight or length) and go with it.
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

These rds would no longer be "factory rounds" if they are tampered with in any way. No bumping the bullets back into the case to straighten them or anyhing like that.

Just my opinion on this & I'll step aside now.

WrzWaldo-- Helluva job getting this up & running. :wtg: :wtg:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
WrzWaldo

Post by WrzWaldo »

Glen wrote:These rds would no longer be "factory rounds" if they are tampered with in any way. No bumping the bullets back into the case to straighten them or anyhing like that.

Just my opinion on this & I'll step aside now.
Concur.

WrzWaldo-- Helluva job getting this up & running. :wtg: :wtg:
No problem. Matter-O-Fact, after we get through this one I have a couple more ideas to throw out.
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

Fire away with em!! If they all get this kinda response it will be good for everybody. I think there will be some learning coming out of this for some folks,, like me :lol: ,, & it will be good for the board.

Just remember everybody,, this is an Honor System. It is not being scored by professional judges & I for one hope there are no hard feelings in the end.
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Rugerdogdog
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS Panther Arms LR-204

Post by Rugerdogdog »

Horray for Skipper! You are one smart dude. I never would have thought of all that. But it is so simple once somebody else comes up with it! It is great to have some of the great minds around here to go to.
DPMS Panther Arms LR-204 24" Stainless Fluted Heavy Barrel

There is a place for all of Gods creatures...RIGHT NEXT TO THE POTATOES AND GRAVY.