How do I fit the length of pull on a kids stock?

Ask questions or share information about rimfire guns such as the Ruger 10/22.
Bunnybuster
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger No. 1

How do I fit the length of pull on a kids stock?

Post by Bunnybuster »

My 8-year old daughter likes coming out to the range with her big brother and me. She has been shooting my 10-22 with a bipod and rear bag, with a loose "hold", because her arms aren't long enough yet to actually shoulder the rifle yet. She is getting pretty good though, and can explode a juice box a 50-yds, 80% of the time. (I told her that when she can do it 100% of the time, I'll let her load more than one bullet at a time, so she is highly motivated.)

I have several 10-22 take off stocks, and want to cut one of them down to fit her. I know there is a relationship between the distance from the crook of the elbow to the finger tip, and the pull length, but can't remember what it is.

Any advice?
jwc41
.204 Ruger Guns: AR-15 clone

Re: How do I fit the length of pull on a kids stock?

Post by jwc41 »

Generally, the rule of thumb is to measure along the lower arm, from the inside of the elbow joint to the fingertips. The average on adult males in this country (who U.S.-sold guns are designed for) is from 13" to 15" so the length of pull for most long guns is in that range.

Since she's still growing, you may want to cut it down to where she measures now and then have spacers you can add as she needs it. For kids, having an appropriate LOP is like having the right sized bicycle. She'll probably go to the 100% hit ratio immediately.
sixshooter
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger number 1

Re: How do I fit the length of pull on a kids stock?

Post by sixshooter »

I did this with an old wood stock from a 10/22 that I put a hoge overmold on. I cut it to the length that fit my grandsons existing length of pull and he used it. He grew pretty rapidly so in less than a year it was to short for him so I just used 1 inch of the left over stock and drilled 2 holes and used wood screws and extended it. I did this until a reqular stock fit and he has shot great all along. Now I have it back in the shortest position for my younger grandkids. Just unscrew as much or as little as needed.