Winchester Supreme 22lr Match Ammo

Ask questions or share information about rimfire guns such as the Ruger 10/22.
Squatting Wolf
.204 Ruger Guns: '07 Savage 12 LRPV

Winchester Supreme 22lr Match Ammo

Post by Squatting Wolf »

Has anyone had any experience with this stuff? I picked some up over the weekend to give it a try and my Mark II Savage seemed to like it but my Anschutz wasn't that excited about it. I'll post some pictures of the results in the next day or so.

I took the .22 with me while I was dialing in the .204 for my upcoming prairie dog trip (I'll post my results of shooting my 204 in a different post). I figured I would take the .22 with me to have something else to plink while the .204 barrel is cooling off... :D. I wasn't able to get the CZ .17hrm ordered in time so for this trip the .204, my .22 and a couple revolvers will have to do.

So far I'm pretty happy with the ammo, it seems to feed and shoot well in the Mark II BV. However it seems to like just about anything I can throw down the tube. The Anschutz is a different story, iI'll be sticking to ammo from RWS, Eley and SK.
It's more important where ya hit 'em, than what ya hit 'em with.
'07 Savage 12 LRPV .204 w/ Leupold VX-II 6-18 LRV reticle
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Re: Winchester Supreme 22lr Match Ammo

Post by Hotshot »

If I was to shoot a 22 long rifle at a prairie dog I would use the highest velocity hollow point I could find. Match ammo would not even be considered.
WHISTLEPIG

Post by WHISTLEPIG »

Squatting Wolf, I shoot a lot of squirrels with a .22 and have found the WW Power Points work the best for me. I use the 40 gr. Velocity over my chrono through a Lilja barrel is 1280fps. Excellent killing power on not only the rather small ground squirrel we have here in Idaho, but also on the larger California ground squirrel. I used the Federal 510 40 gr. lead round nose for two years when the Power Points were unavailable and the difference is huge. The round nose just does not have the terminal results of the hollow point. By the way, the Federal 510 group just as well as most match ammo out of my Finnfire. There are a few fliers, but for the cost they are the best 40 gr. waxed I have found. When I was on a buying spree I was paying $1.00 per box at WallMart. That was a year ago and I accumulated about 10,000 rounds. I do not know the price now.
Good luck on your hunt.
Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

I did a lot of playing around with 22lr ammo in preparation for a 200 yard match. The CCI Velocitor with Speer Gold Dot HP was the favorite high velocity round for my Marlin semi-auto.
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)
Savage model 10 Predator, 3-9 Nikon Omega
07 LRPV, 35X45 Leupold Competition

LeeC

Post by LeeC »

Now that a group of who I think are knowledgable shooters have chimed in on this, I'll pose a thought and see what you guys think. We have a 200 yard .22 LR match, or two, at my club each year. When first getting into it, my local dealers, who are big in Scheutzen matches, told me not to use high-speed ammo at long range. The reason being, that HP ammo starts out above the speed of sound, but by the time it reaches 200 yds it falls below speed of sound, and at that point it, more or less, hits a bit of a barrier that may throw the bullet off. You guys know anything about this? Sounds reasonable, but you know gun dealers....as bad as fishermen. I deer hunt by the catch and release method too.
"Those who hammer their guns into plowshares will plow for those who do not." Thomas Jefferson
Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

Lee
I overheard a few old-timers barking at each other after a match on that same issue. The serious shooters here seem to be split on what velocity is best. The high velocity guys like the speed because it's usually windy on match days :eew: . I, and I think most people shoot what's accurate it their rifle. Weather it's high or low velocity.
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)
Savage model 10 Predator, 3-9 Nikon Omega
07 LRPV, 35X45 Leupold Competition

WHISTLEPIG

Post by WHISTLEPIG »

I have read a great deal on the velocity subject, mostly on Benchrest.com on the rimfire forum. As a .22 projectile falls below the speed of sound the shock wave it creates as it passes through the air changes and causes the projectile to become unstable and yaw. It is great to be interested in these things and I find them intriguing, but from a practical point I do not think they would apply to me or most people. I also understand the principle of barrel indexing and barrel tuners but for me they are not on my short list of things to get. Flipping a .22lr. bullet out to 200 yards is a crap shoot for any rifle or ammo combination. There are just too many variables and limitations inherent to the ammunition and distance to say nothing of the wind.
I say go with what shoots best in your rifle and shoot the match. Sounds like a lot of fun. The thing I love about shooting a .22lr is putting the hold over and windage on longer shots and letting one go.
Do a search on Benchrest.com in the rimfire section and you will find enough on the subject to make you dizzy