Suggestions on cleaning my rimfire......

Ask questions or share information about rimfire guns such as the Ruger 10/22.
Keith in Ga

Suggestions on cleaning my rimfire......

Post by Keith in Ga »

I have a Remington 541-T and heavy bbl Ruger 10-22, thinking about giving them a cleaning. Shot them today for the first time in quite a while, results weren't what I remembered. Course could be "oldtimers" kicking in and maybe I'm not as good as I used to be!
Both have factory triggers, never tinkered with or adjusted. Thinking I might clean them, or not, any suggestions as to cleaning? Or do I leave them alone? Thanks...
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

Were you shooting the same brand of ammo as before. How many years between the new & old ammo if any?? If there are more than a couple years then you may have to reseason the barrel to the newer ammo's lube. That should be done within 20rds or so. Plus with things changing the way they have,,, you may have to go thru the ammo one box at a time until you find something it likes again. Are the scope mounts & action screws still tight??

HTH
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Jim Higgs
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix

Re: Suggestions on cleaning my rimfire......

Post by Jim Higgs »

I used to shoot thousands of rounds at metallic silhoutte and finally cleaned my 541T with a lead remover and it took a couple hundred rounds before it started shooting as before. so I would give it a good cleaning and just take your time and it will come around after a while.
Hawkeye Joe

Re: Suggestions on cleaning my rimfire......

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

We have a lot of guys at our club that are VERY serious about their 200 yard 22lr matches. They NEVER clean the their rifle barrels. BUT, In your case.Not shooting it in a while, I would give it a good cleaning then start testing ammo, AFTER you season that barrel with 100+ rounds.
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)
Savage model 10 Predator, 3-9 Nikon Omega
07 LRPV, 35X45 Leupold Competition