Classic .22's

Ask questions or share information about rimfire guns such as the Ruger 10/22.
Guy M

Classic .22's

Post by Guy M »

I know there's got to be some guys using older, classic .22 match rifles. I still practice with, and occasionally hunt with, this old Winchester 52-B, complete with the equally classic 20x Lyman target scope. Dad & Grandpa used it in competition, it's been in our family 50+ years and is still mighty accurate.

Anyone else using a classic .22? :D
WHISTLEPIG

Post by WHISTLEPIG »

I had a Remington 513-T with a 16 power (I think) Unertal for many years. It also had a set of Redfield Olympic aperture sights. I bought it from my brother, had it for 20 years or so, and traded it back to him. I still have in my safe the first gun I ever owned. A single shot Remington Fieldmaster my uncle bought for me when I was 5 or 6 years old.
I have always loved to shoot .22 and have owned quite a few. Right now I have a Weatherby Mark XII tube fed, a Ruger 77 .22 which is completely blue printed and bedded, and the one I shoot is a Sako P94 Varmint.
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Post by Hotshot »

Guy, I have the same set up as in your picture. My Dad won 8 state championships with this rifle back in the 50's and 60's. I was shooting some BR50 a few years ago when I lived in Wyoming using a tricked out 10/22. I did very well in our informal competitions, but 1 day I brought out the 52 just for the heck of it. I shot best 10 shot group of the year, and high score of the year using Eley Match ammo. What a wonderfull classic you have. Cherish it!
Critter
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger #1B .204, Ruger 77/44,

Re: Classic .22's

Post by Critter »

Guy has a great system there, perhaps my second favorite. Here is the one I really like:

52 Sporter has always been a super small game rifle, but only a marginal match rifle.
.204 Sniper

Post by .204 Sniper »

All I can say is I WISH I had an old classic like those............................beautiful rifles!
When your attack is going well you are about to be ambushed.
Ray P
.204 Ruger Guns: 2-Rem 700 and Ruger#1 S/S

Post by Ray P »

When I joined my hi-school rifle team back in 1973 my dad said I should have my own rifle. Out to his favorit gun dealer and brought home a model 54 anschutz 22LR target rifle. Apeture sights. So I used it for 4 years and my younger brother used it for 4 years.
We still have it but have not taken it out to shoot it. We just keep her cleaned and oiled. Dad also picked up 5000 round of Eley tenex red/orange box. still have about 2500 rounds left and Yep it shoots.........tried some of Eley in my green mountain barrel I put on my 77/22 and a bug hole at 50 yards.
Not as old as your but stll sweet.
Later
Ray P
Life is an adventure and often to short. Make the most with family and friends. Shoot often and shoot a small hole. Love the 204 Ruger!! NRA Life Member
"We are never to old to learn"
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Dang it! You reminded me of "one of the ones that got away" with this post. I used to have a sweet, very accurate Remington 513 Matchmaster with an old Unertal 8X scope in external mounts. Many a squirrel met his demise with that old rifle, and I often wonder where she is today......(pout). :roll:

In a moment of weakness, I also traded off a 1973 vintage Remington M541S sporter, now worth over $500, that I paid about $150 for back then. Two I still have can't be considered classics just yet; a Remington M541T HB (discontinued) and an original Ruger 77/22 sporter (walnut/blue) that is a first year production rifle with knock-out wood......some day...

Here's the M541T HB wanting to get out into the field:

Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Guy M

Post by Guy M »

Critter and Rick, those are a couple of beauties! Thanks for posting the photos. Ray, that Anschutz sounds like one heck of a rifle... They're shooters!

Regards, Guy
Ray P
.204 Ruger Guns: 2-Rem 700 and Ruger#1 S/S

Post by Ray P »

Thanks guys.............I think everyone needs a good 22LR for what every purpose. We all have our great center fire's. But there is something about a "Classic 22" . I also have a marlin 39A that my dad got me for my 12th birthday. :eek: I couldn't wait to get my hands on one Ruger's "All Weather " 22. I think Ruger S/S is one of the nices out there. This now wears a green mtn. .920 bull barrel and volquartzen grey laminated stock.
Thanks for sharing and I'll try to get ya some pics.
Later
Ray P
Life is an adventure and often to short. Make the most with family and friends. Shoot often and shoot a small hole. Love the 204 Ruger!! NRA Life Member
"We are never to old to learn"
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

I am a modern classic, I guess.

My original 10/22 was sold in a time of need. 10's of thousands of rounds through it.

The 10/22 that currently resides at my house has an aftermarket barrel, custom trigger work, and a Choate style stock. Friends laugh when they see the 4-12 power scope on it...and then they become rather quiet when you outshoot their high power at 100 yards.
KVW
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12LRPV & 12FVS

Post by KVW »

Those are some great looking Rifles :D I am looking at getting a cheaper Bench type gun. Kind of leaning towards a Savage Mark II. My gun club where I shoot centerfire is going to have .22lr matches next year so y'all know what that means :idea: Go buy one :D
Savage 12LRPV W/Sightron 36x scope
Savage 12FV W/Weaver T-36 scope

glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

The closest thing I have to a "classic" .22 is an old 1920's vintage M24 Remington, an autoloader designed by J.M. Browning himself. Mine is a gallery gun, .22 Short only. If you think "Browning .22 autoloader" you'll know exactly what it looks like, although the furniture has changed a little, the rest of the gun is the same. It's a nice old gun, my late brother gave it to me, just before he passed on.
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

Here's an old M-49R Ithaca in 22LR. My brother has Granddad's single shot with peep sight we shot in the Jr NRA program.

Hawkeye Joe (Mike)
Savage model 10 Predator, 3-9 Nikon Omega
07 LRPV, 35X45 Leupold Competition

KVW
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12LRPV & 12FVS

Post by KVW »

Hawkeye, that is one great looking piece. Is the stock redone or is that still original. If it's original---WOW :D
Savage 12LRPV W/Sightron 36x scope
Savage 12FV W/Weaver T-36 scope

Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

KVW it's all original. Picked it up from a guy at work for $100. He found it in his mom's house after she passed. I think it's from the early 70's. She's a keeper :D
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)
Savage model 10 Predator, 3-9 Nikon Omega
07 LRPV, 35X45 Leupold Competition