Holo or Red Dot sight on a .22 Lever action?

Ask questions or share information about rimfire guns such as the Ruger 10/22.
Sam in Perth
.204 Ruger Guns: Tikka T3 Stainless Varmint - Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24x42

Holo or Red Dot sight on a .22 Lever action?

Post by Sam in Perth »

I have a Winchester 9422 that I was thinking of putting a Holo or red dot (is there a difference?) sight on. Does anyone have any experience with this kind of set up?

I only use the .22 for shooting up to 50 yards, max, but most shots are at 20-30 yds. After all, I do have a .204!

A lot of my shooting is done at night with a spotlight and I have pretty good eyesight, if this makes a difference with these sights.

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Sam

Tikka T3 Varmint - Bushnell 4200 6-24x42 Mil Dot
Winchester 9422
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Holo or Red Dot sight on a .22 Lever action?

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Sam: I've been using a Leupold/Gilmore LG-1 Red Dot sight (1 MOA Dot) on my Ruger MK-I target pistol now for about five years, and it allows shots (rested) to be taken to at least 50 yards. I've routinely smacked ground squirrels in the head peeking out of their holes to that distance with mine using WW Power Points.

Either would work well, but the red dot sights have dot intensity controls so you can vary the brightness of the red dot for night use. The Leupold/Gilmore has 11 intensity settings, zero magnification. Batteries last about forever as far as I can tell.

I've got two Winchester 9422's, a 22WMR and a 22LR, but I much prefer to leave them as smooth-tops (no scopes) to keep the handling characteristics neutral. I ended up putting a small peep sight replacement from One Ragged Hole on one of my rifles. It replaces the factory buckhorn blade on the rear sight. Great for daytime, but would not work for night shooting.

http://oneraggedhole.com/
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Sam in Perth
.204 Ruger Guns: Tikka T3 Stainless Varmint - Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24x42

Post by Sam in Perth »

Cheers Rick,

I think I will do some further research and try and find a Weaver base adaptor and a holo sight for the 9422.

The holo sight appeals to me more than the red dot, just because I want to get away from looking down a "tube". Good point about adjustable reticle intensity though. I'll have to look into that.

I had a look at the One Ragged Hole peep sights and they look pretty neat, but no good for trying to sight off the back of a ute (truck) at night.
Sam

Tikka T3 Varmint - Bushnell 4200 6-24x42 Mil Dot
Winchester 9422
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

Sam, the Bushnell HOLO sights have adjustable intensity. Gary