SAVAGE MARK11 BTVS .22LR

Ask questions or share information about rimfire guns such as the Ruger 10/22.
paddy 09
.204 Ruger Guns: remy 700 vls

SAVAGE MARK11 BTVS .22LR

Post by paddy 09 »

Baught one of theses rifles 3 weeks ago and would not shoot .Really bad groups (4" at 40 yards ).Tried 14 different brands of ammo .Sent it back to the shop and he handed out another btvs to try .Hard to believe this but the second rifle was just as bad :wall: .Has anyone came accross problems with savage not shooting ,before?Done the usual thing like cheaking the action screws,mounts and scope.
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Re: SAVAGE MARK11 BTVS .22LR

Post by Hotshot »

That would be highly unusual. My experience with Savage rimfires has been excellent accuracy. Did you use the same scope on both rifles? There must be some common item that produced the same problem twice.
paddy 09

Post by paddy 09 »

Hotshot wrote:That would be highly unusual. My experience with Savage rimfires has been excellent accuracy. Did you use the same scope on both rifles? There must be some common item that produced the same problem twice.
Changed the scope twice and no differnce .In the same time i had my problems with 2 rifles ,one other savage .22lr was returned to the shop ,not shooting either!
paddy 09

Post by paddy 09 »

Update on my BTVS .Sent it to my gunsmith 2 weeks ago and he said that the crown was not square to the bore.Getting it recrowned so .I am also getting it pillar and glass beded . It will be back this week so should make a big difference to my groups he said . :D :D .Hard to imagin that the crown could make it shoot so bad. He showed me where it was not square and it seemed so small a differnce i was shocked . Anyway ill post my results soon.
Lenard
.204 Ruger Guns: 700 Remington

Post by Lenard »

My shooting buddy has one and it would not shoot less than 4" at 100 yards. He re-crowned it and it started shooting around 1". I have heard this before and it really makes a difference in how they shoot. Savage needs to revisit their procedure in crowning barrels. By the way, his was a 17 HMR.

Lenard
paddy 09

Post by paddy 09 »

Got the savage back from the smith and now it shoots good .My problem now is that it only shoots one brand good .(cci) All other brands like eley,lapua and rws are really bad still .My smith offered to rechamber it to a match one .Has anyone any taughts on this ?The cci,s seem to be that bit longer a round and fits tight in the chamber .
K22

Post by K22 »

Some of the CCI rounds are a bit longer, actually, the orgive (power band) is positioned farther forward than other brands. This is especially true with the CCI Subsonics. It places the power band really close to the riflings. Rechambering will most likely solve the problem. If it were me, since rimfire barrels are normally pinned and rechambering to a match chamber is going to require setting the barrel back a bit, I would have the receiver and barrel threaded. Then recrown with an 11 degree crown. There's an awful lot of different match reamers on the market, so that will make a difference also. My choice would be a Win. 52D Match chamber with the Lilja Match chamber second. The 2 match chambers I mentioned is going to eliminate some types of rimfire ammo from being fired. Some CCI's will chamber very hard and rounds like the stingers and other super high velocity rounds should not be fired in it. Standard velocity, target ammo, subsonic, and match ammo will work great and I'm sure will astound you with their accuracy. Or of course, you could get rid of the rifle and get a Sako Quad and never look back. :D

Here's an idea of how match chamber sporter weight rifles will shoot.
The left circled targets are from a stock Sako Quad and the right circled ones from a custom 581 Remington.

K22

Post by K22 »

Here's the 2 rifles in question. The first one is the (used to be 581S) Rem. 581 and the second one is the Sako Quad (Hunter).

paddy 09

Post by paddy 09 »

The sako .22lr is a top rimfire .Hard to get a finnfire over here ,now a days .My savage has an 11* crown and bedded.The cci,s sub are only a budget hunting round and shoot really well .Im hoping that a custom match chamber will improve my groups and lower my flyers a bit.Not sure what reamer my smith is going to use to rechamber but ill be talking to him in a few days and ill ask .One thing thats in the back of my mind is if i get a new chamber cut ,that its not as good as it is now .I kown thats a silly taught, but it does shoot well on the sub cci,s .Thanks for you replay and ill post my groups up before i get it rechambered .