Cabela's made me do it!

Ask questions or share information about rimfire guns such as the Ruger 10/22.
Schrutester
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Cabela's made me do it!

Post by Schrutester »

I was set on getting a 22 Mag until I saw the price of this Marlin 917VS-CF at the Cabela's 4th of July Sale. After going back and forth and reading some comparisons done between the two calibers I decided that the 17HMR looked like a fun caliber to have, so I bit the bullet and took advantage of the sale.

I threw a Leupold VX II 3X9 on it for now. I think having a 4.5X14 would be a good switch someday.

Went out last week to sight it in and was happy with the results. I tested some different brands, except for the Hornady V-Max since they are nowhere to be found! It seemed to like all the brands, but the CCI consistently shot the best. This is only at 50 yards but from other 17HMR groups at 50 yards that I have seen on other forums, it seems like this rifle is a shooter. :D

The wind picked up a bit so my groups at 100 yards were all about an inch to the right, but from the size of this group I would dare say that the 100 yard group w/o wind would be satisfactory. I read that this little round is susceptible to the wind, and I saw it firsthand.

Next purchase will be a Rifle Basix trigger. The trigger on it now isn't too bad, but I like the feel of a crisp quality trigger.

Overall I think this little round will be fun. A 22 Mag is still on my list, but that one will be a CZ 452 or 453 Varmint.
Last edited by Schrutester on Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Re: Cabela's made me do it!

Post by Glen »

I really like the 17HMR. :wink:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

You're going to love the .17HMR! As far as the scope goes I find that a 3x9 works just fine as I tend to limit the range of shots to not more than 250 yards. Gary
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS

Post by Jim White »

Schrutester,

I found when I load tested that Federal TNT, CCI TNT and Hornady VMAX (all are 17 grains) grouped the best and in that order from 2 different Savage 17 HMR's. Federal ammo isn't is easy to come by as the other two. While the CCI shoots a tad tighter, the Hornady shoots a tad faster and as of late has been much easier to come buy.

If you can, try your ammo out at 200 yards and try every brand you can get. For scopes, I have 4.5-14's on both of mine but, I have used 3x9's and they work quite well. I'd be picky about reticle choice though because out there in distance the thicker reticles may obscure the smaller varmints when your holding off for the wind.

Good luck and enjoy,