Clunky bolt on my CZ 452 American

Ask questions or share information about rimfire guns such as the Ruger 10/22.
Hawkeye Joe

Clunky bolt on my CZ 452 American

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

I was out shooting my CZ 452 American 22 WMR today and I just couldn't help but notice how clunky/sticky the bolt is when closing. Does anybody know a fix for this? I tried to put a little bolt grease on the external moving parts and it's still the same. The next step is to tear it down and have a look inside. Maybe I need some of Whistle pig's springs?? I also had a hard time logging on to post. it took 5 tries :? .
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)
Savage model 10 Predator, 3-9 Nikon Omega
07 LRPV, 35X45 Leupold Competition

Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Clunky bolt on my CZ 452 American

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Mike: It's the nature of the beast. My CZ 452 Varmint in 17HMR is the same way. I've heard this complaint from other CZ rimfire users too.

CZ forges these receivers, then machines them, but evidently does not feel a clean up pass with the mill or broach is needed on the bolt raceways. Mine is rough as a cobb too, and feels 'gritty' opening and closing the bolt. I suppose over time (a couple of decades?), it would smooth out, but I agree it's annoying and not what one would expect of a rifle of this quality.

These are excellent, accurate rifles, and it appears the only way to finish the factory's work would be to use either valve lapping compound, JB paste or similar abrasives on the mating parts, or to use a Dremel with the polishing wheel and clean it up the way it should have been done prior to leaving the factory. I've done nothing to mine, telling myself "it will get better over time". Yeah, right, it probably will, but in the meantime...... Maybe by the time my son hands it down to my grandson, it will be nice and smooth. On the bright side, mine is very, very accurate, and has accounted for a few hundred squirrels out here using the Hornady 17gr V-Max Varmint Express load.

As for the login problem, I had it too, then spoke with Brian on the phone, and he helped me sort it out. Be sure your browser is set on http://www.204ruger.com/forum, and not on the rugerhunting address. He has a sticky post on this you might want to check out.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

Thanks Rick, Maybe tonight I'll tear her down and have a look. But first, me and Buddy are going out back to help control the Starling population with it. Maybe that'll keep him out of the trees :lol: I think he's got some Kangaroo in him.
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)
Savage model 10 Predator, 3-9 Nikon Omega
07 LRPV, 35X45 Leupold Competition

Ray P
.204 Ruger Guns: 2-Rem 700 and Ruger#1 S/S

Post by Ray P »

Hawkeye Joe....off subject a little! Nice pic of your black lab. In town here, were I live you have keep you dog on a lesh, unless your yard is fenced in. Our golden retriver "Henery Bear" didn't like squirrels in the yard. If you kept a snug lesh, he was fine. The wife took him for his afternoon walk and left some slack in the lesh and he saw a squirrel................I'll let you picture what happen next! The wife had grass on her backside and othe places and poor Henery Bear did know why he was getting yelled at for :huh: ................all I wish was I had a video of the event.
Thanks for sharing the pics
Rick thanks for the reply on the kimber questions and the pic of your lovely pair on the post Were is Kevin?? I sure hope he's ok?
Later
Ray P
Life is an adventure and often to short. Make the most with family and friends. Shoot often and shoot a small hole. Love the 204 Ruger!! NRA Life Member
"We are never to old to learn"
WHISTLEPIG

Post by WHISTLEPIG »

Ray, How tight are the action screws? CZ bolts are rough by nature as Rick says, but most guys that have taken the time to mess with the action tension have found that between 20 and 30 inch pounds yield the best accuracy. Most of them come from the factory with the action screws installed way too tight. It may be stressing the action and adding to the roughness problem. Our striker spring will not help with the roughness, but it will decrease your locktime and give you better ignition.
Pete
YoteSmoker
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varminter

Post by YoteSmoker »

FWIW, I spoke to Mike, CZ's head gunsmith a couple months back and asked him if he could give my torque specs for my 527. He said that I should just tighten both guard screws nice and snug without damaging the screw head.

20-30 inch lbs might be worth a try also.