Smith & Wesson Model 41

Ask questions or share information about rimfire guns such as the Ruger 10/22.
Squatting Wolf
.204 Ruger Guns: '07 Savage 12 LRPV

Smith & Wesson Model 41

Post by Squatting Wolf »

I'm looking at possibly picking up a S&W model 41 this weekend. It has the 5.5" bull barrel and two pair of grips (stock and an aftermarket target set). It's an older model with the cocking indicator, I will be receiving picking tomorrow with hope to check it out this weekend. Once I get the serial I'll be able to identify a manufacture date. He's asking $750, what do you guys think?

I've also got a Browning Buckmark on order...yike, went a little overboard with the rimfires!
It's more important where ya hit 'em, than what ya hit 'em with.
'07 Savage 12 LRPV .204 w/ Leupold VX-II 6-18 LRV reticle
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Smith & Wesson Model 41

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Wolf: I'm a Model 41 fan also, and would say that pistol is in the ball park price-wise, especially an older one with the cocking indicator and the 5.5" bull barrel.

Mine is marked "OSP" for Oregon State Police, as it was a target pistol from their team. I've got the 7-3/8" barrel with the removable muzzle brake, plus the 5.5" heavy/rapid fire barrel. Mine is in the box with two mags, and a dealer offered me $1,200 for it a few months ago at a gun show, sight unseen. In the Gun List, $750 is what most of them go for with one barrel.

That will be the most accurate rimfire pistol you've ever owned, I promise. I'll never sell mine. Good luck, hope you score the new toy. They are one sweet pistol. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Squatting Wolf

Post by Squatting Wolf »

Rick

Thanks for the info. I was thinking today that you might have a model 41 being a huge Smith fan. I've been reading about them for the past couple weeks and thought that was a decent price, not a steal but reasonable.

I've also been looking at after market barrels, as I would like to get a barrel that is drilled and tapped so I could mount either a scope or red dot. That way I could take it with me on my next trip out west to met skippy!

I'll keep you posted, I'm supposed to get some pictures tomorrow and if it looks promising, I'll take a ride down and check it out this weekend.

Do you have any pictures of your 41 that you could share?
Squatting Wolf

Post by Squatting Wolf »

Rick,

Here's a couple pictures of the little Smith. I think I am going to make the trip this weekend to check it out. It's not mint but seems to be in decent shape, at least worthy of checking it out in person.

Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Wolf: Looks to be in decent condition, and is probably worth the asking price from what I've seen.

Here's mine shown with both barrel sets and the removable muzzle brake for the 7-3/8" barrel. I don't shoot bullseye match, but that barrel with the brake is the hot ticket for our jackrabbits out in the open desert when they take off into the sagebrush on 'turbo-boost'.

If you ever have interest, I know where you can get barrel sets for these pistols, besides just going to the S&W parts dept. There is also a barrel set called the "Sport" barrel, or field barrel. It's 5.5" long, but is the same contour as the 7-3/8" unit to make it lighter and more suitable for holster/field carry. These are about the finest autoloading rimfire pistols ever made. You're really going to lust over yours. ;) (Just from the time you've been here, you've obtained some very nice handguns, my friend.)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

huntsman22
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger 77VT and ruger mkII Ultralite

Post by huntsman22 »

Rick in Oregon wrote: These are about the finest autoloading rimfire pistols ever made.
Yep, They rank right up there with Colt Woodsmans........... :wink:

Can you tell where my loyalty lies?........
Squatting Wolf

Post by Squatting Wolf »

Rick

That is one sweet looking rig you have there! The one I'm looking at shows some bluing wear but we'll see what it looks like in person. I'm buying it to shoot it so I guess as long as it shoots well, it'll have a little character. I'm taking off work early tomorrow to go check her out, I can't wait!

If I end up picking it up, I'll be interested in additional barrel sets for it. I'd like to add at least a 7 3/8 and that field option you mentioned sounds interesting...dang she's not going to be a cheap date, that's for sure!

Thanks again for the info! I'll post some pictures after I pick her up.
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Wolf: Good luck; I hope you bring her home. And "yes", she's no cheap date, that's for sure. When you experience the accuracy those little babies put out, you'll have an entirely new outlook on rimfire pistol accuracy potential. She'll have a permenant place in your gun safe for sure.

Huntsman: It pains me that you reminded me of that (Colt Woodsman), as back around 1985, this fool in a moment of weakness sold his pet 6" 3rd Model Woodsman Sport Model for a paltry $250. Pity as that may be, it hurts even more when I consider I purchased it from a friend in 1969 for.......$50!!!! You might have even seen it if you read Combat Handguns around the early/mid '80's, as it was used in an ad we did for steel combat silhouettes back then, along with my Colt Combat Commander.

When I've got some extra bucks available, I plan on either a 4" or 6" 3rd Model Woodsman Match Target. Saw a virginal 4" example last month at a gun show here for a measley $1,200.....those puppies are getting dear! :shock: I've got a sweet cased Charles Daly 20ga O/U that I'm hoping to turn into that Woodsman soon.......we'll see.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

huntsman22

Post by huntsman22 »

Rick, I didn't mean to bring up painful memories....... :wink:
Don't want you to have a setback on the road to recovery. :eek: I'm sure you will get by, most dandily with the 41 until your woodsman plan fruition-izes......

SW, congrats on the Smith.......
huntsman22

Post by huntsman22 »

Rick in Oregon wrote:Wolf: Good luck; I hope you bring her home.
Squatting Wolf wrote:Rick

That is one sweet looking rig you have there!

Thanks again for the info! I'll post some pictures after I pick her up.

It'd a done deal, Rick. Your pics put him over the edge.......
Squatting Wolf

Post by Squatting Wolf »

Rick & huntsman22

It is a done deal, I bought the 41this afternoon! I left work a bit early to drive down and check her out. The pictures I was sent do not do it any justice at all. There are a couple handeling marks but it looks much cleaner in person. The earliest that I can pick it up is Monday which is probably when I'll be down there to get it.

Judging from the serial number this one was made in 1972 near as I can tell. I can't wait to try her out.

Rick, what ammo have you found to work well with your 41? It seems like a lot of guys are shooting CCI Standards from what I've read.
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Wolf: As for 22LR ammo in my Mdl 41, I'm not a "target" guy. Once I get a pistol dialed in on paper, it seldom shoots paper after that, as we've got so many furball ground squirrels here, the majority of shooting after the intitial paper session is on Skippy. That said, both CCI Mini-Mag HP's and especially Winchester Power Points are my ammo of choice for all my rimfire pistols, revolvers and rifles.

The performance inside 30 yards of this ammo (WW PP's) on small rodents is truly amazing.

For pure target work, I'm sure a standard velocity target offering would out perform any high speed hunting ammo though.

Congrats on the procurement of the 41! You will be one happy guy for the foreseeable future in the handgun department.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Squatting Wolf

Post by Squatting Wolf »

I picked up the model 41 last night! About the time I was walking out of the shop, a nice big thunderstorm was rolling in. I had to wait a couple hours for the storms to move through but I finally got to go out to the range.

I didn't have much time before the second batch of storms moved through so I just shot the falling plates with it. I can already tell that I am going to love this little gun. It's very soft shooting, easy to get on and hold on target and the trigger is fantastic.

It is a bit picky on ammo and from what I've ready, that's not uncommon with the 41's.I had several types with me from standard to high velocity and it really didn't care for any of them. As the slide was operating, it would catch the empty casing, not allowing the slide to close. I'm guessing there is a miss-match with the recoil spring to the ammo that I was trying. I am going to pick up several different types of ammo and maybe even the spring kit that Midway has and see if I can cure the problem.

My dad went out with me as well and went 10 for 10 on the falling plates the first time he picked it up! I think he became a big fan shortly there after. I'll get some pictures of her tonight and get them posted.
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Wolf: My Mdl 41 has never jammed since I've owned her, so you may be right about the spring thing. Mine just hums along with either the WW Power Points (my primary ammo), or CCI Mini-Mag HP's. The ground squirrels here just hate that ammo.

This would be a good time to say "I told you so"......I knew you'd fall in love with that little pistol once you got her in your hands. It sounds like your dad is no slouch with a handgun either.

Let us know how things go after a spring or ammo replacement.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Squatting Wolf

Post by Squatting Wolf »

I ordered the spring kit and about a 1/2 dozen different types of ammo last night from Midway and also I gave her a good cleaning. The barrel was clean but it looked like it had 30 years of power, dust and grim on just about everything else. I got her all cleaned up, oiled up and ready to go. I had ordered a second magazine from Midway a couple days ago and it showed up today as well. I'll have to see if I can try her out again this weekend!