Ruger 10/22 LR I need to Improve Accuracy

Ask questions or share information about rimfire guns such as the Ruger 10/22.
Ryan S Albright
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 204 Ultra Light, Ruger 204 Standard, Ruger Target Gray

Ruger 10/22 LR I need to Improve Accuracy

Post by Ryan S Albright »

I have a 10/22 I have mounted a 16 power scope on it. I have had this carbine for 34 years. Its trigger is very hard to pull. I thought I would dig in a see if I couldn't make a shooter out of this rifle. I was going to start with floating the barrel then work on the trigger. I know there is a lot of after market stuff out there but I don't want a $1000 dollar 10/22 I'll take suggestions. What have you done to yours?
Va varminter
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 FV

Re: Ruger 10/22 LR I need to Improve Accuracy

Post by Va varminter »

I am thinking that if it is 34 years old then it has sent more than a box or two of ammo down the pipe. I would say give the barrel a good scrubbing and see if that helps. If not, there are a lot of barrel/stock combos and probably a trigger for cheap. I would start with the trigger and work out.
http://www.fairtax.org
Election day can't get here soon enough.
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

Cheap help on the trigger pull, get a Volquartzen hammer, and install that. Trigger probably won't be crisp, but it'll be a lot better ($35 or so). A new stock and barrel aren't that expensive, either, but $1000 in a 10/22 ain't hard to achieve. My PD shooting buddy has either nine or ten 10/22s/10/22Ms, in various chamberings. It took two HMR barrels to get one to function correctly (and it now shoots better than my Marlin :mad: :lol: ) The rest are in various stages of customization, not a one was "cheap or inexpensive" either.
Ruger factory sporter barrels "ain't all that" when it comes to accuracy, but you can pick up a Green Mountain barrel for around a C note that'll help a lot. B&C makes replacement stocks that get rid of the accursed barrel band on the regular 10/22s, that helps, too.
Since mines in the Deluxe Sporter stock, I plan to replace my barrel with a 22 or 24" sporterweight barrel one day. They balance better, to my tastes, anyway. I don't really care for the heavy barrels in a squirrel rifle.
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

one thing i always do to a 10/22 is put in a new hammer with bushings. i use power custom triggers, sell for around 35.00. cheap trigger job! also VQ, Clark and a bunch of others on the market will do the same thing.
my oldest 10/22, bought in 83, didn't have a bad trigger, but all of the newer ones are really BAD! and on all the newer guns, i replace the extracter to overcome stove pipes when shooting the cheaper ammo.
also, get yourself a copy of Ruger 10/22 Armorers Course, by The American Gunsmithing Institute. This tape goes into great detail the dissasembly and reassembly and cleaning of the 10/22. You may want to watch this tape before trying to install a new hammer and shims or even a new sear.
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
Ryan S Albright

The trigger is the worst it must be pulling 8 or 9lbs Jewel and Varqurtzen have full trigger assemblies for $185 I have been looking at Midway usa and there are a lot of options. The rifle has the delux stock on it. The problem with a 22 is the ammo I found that the cheapest Fedrel ammo from Wal Mart shoots the tightest groups. I have the barrel cleaned real well but it doesn't take that many rounds down the barrel before it starts flinging bullet all around the bulls eye. Who makes the best barrel do I go heavy or medium weight. If I decide to change stocks who makes a nice stock for walk around rifle.
glenn asher

Post by glenn asher »

I'd do the trigger (replace the hammer, that takes care of it) and probably a medium weight barrel, probably Green Mountain, since they seem very good, and are priced reasonably. If you just want a rifle to hunt with, you can quit right there (you'd have to open the barrel channel for the heavier barrel, no big deal). The new barrel will probably cure the fouling trouble you're having with the factory tube, but it will probably want some other ammo than what you've stockpiled (of course it will, that's how it always works :mad: :lol: )
Doug's fancy schmancy 10/22s are all in custom stocks, complete with custom paint jobs from some guy in Seymour IN (Tuck is his name, his work is all over rimfirecentral) but Doug only shoots PDs, and doesn't hunt tree rats or rabbits, so he can diddle around with those ultra-fine rifles. I'd rather have a rifle I can sling over my shoulder, cross the fence, and go shoot squirrels with it. Or frogs and turtles, or rabbits hiding under a bush.
Practically everyone makes stocks for 10/22s, some are gawdy and awful, but some aren't. Boyd's makes stuff from both ends of the spectrum, so does Bell and Carlson, and if you want cheap plastic, so does Choate and Uncle Mikes and a host of others, depending on your cash flow.
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
Ryan S Albright

I have the delux wood stock that I could open up. I need to decide on fixing the trigger. The rifle could probably use a new extractor. I just need to figure out weather to spend the money on a complete unit or piece it out. If I put the Vorqurtzen trigger assembly in does that have the bolt with it? A longer barrel would help with the balance. The rifle is pretty light weight.
glenn asher

Post by glenn asher »

I think the VQ unit is just the trigger assembly, I don't know anyone who has one! For the money, either the VQ hammer or Powers Custom hammer will work fine for lowering pull weight, you really don't need the whole thing unless you just want it. You can probaby do the hammer, barrel and extractor for under $200, if that's what it needs.
I like the deluxe stock myself, and agree that it needs a bit of weight to balance better. A medium weight 22" tube would be the berries, in my opinion, and that's probably what I'll do, one of these days.
Ryan S Albright

Thanks Glen I am going to start slow and do the Hammer,Trigger and extractor, I have gone from a one rifle hunter. Now I need to thin down a little its getting too expensive but I thought an improved 22 would be economical. I have four 204s now I am trying to decide weather to keep my medium wait Ruger 204 or the new Remington LVSF 204.
Steve6309

Post by Steve6309 »

I have been working on a similar project lately and in spite of not spending much money on it, I have been pleased with the results. About the only aftermarket part I added was a 22 inch green mountain stainless barrel. It is what they call the fade flute barrel. I believe it started out as a heavy fluted barrel that they turned down to sporter contour. The cost of the barrel was in the $85 range. I believe it has the bentz chamber. I worked on the stock trigger by following directions from rimfire central and without changing any springs or parts, was able to get a decent trigger pull. I also pillar bedded the rifle and floated the barrel. Probably spent less than $100 all together and it has been well worth the effort. The barrel was ordered from shooters discount.

Steve