17 HM2

Ask questions or share information about rimfire guns such as the Ruger 10/22.
Varmonter

17 HM2

Post by Varmonter »

Anyone have a 17 mach2. I guess you can build on a 10/22 platform.
Hawkeye Joe

Re: 17 HM2

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

I have a Mach2 and like it. It's probably good for everything from mice to fox under 100 yards.The biggest game I shot was a feral cat. He was dead instantly with a head shot. Couldn't find the entrance just the exit, Which was very small. It's also very accurate. Definitely like it better than the 22lr.
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)
Savage model 10 Predator, 3-9 Nikon Omega
07 LRPV, 35X45 Leupold Competition

glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

They are pretty good in a boltgun, but a lot of the builders of 10/17M2s report problems with bulging cases and blown cases, even with the heavier bolt handles and other remedial work. It's NOT just a swapoutandrunwithit kind of deal, there are issues of timing and making the things operate smoothly, and they are not easily solved. Even going from one barrel to another is "iffy" but it does sometimes work. A friend of mine has 9 10/22s and 10/22Ms, in various stocks and gadgetry. He did buy an EABCO rig, but ran into the problems I lined out, it took a swap to another brand of barrel before he had a reliable and accurate rifle. He has a TON of money wrapped into that one. He ran into the same stuff with the HMR in those rifles, but finally got two of them up and running. He perserveres with them and makes them work, but he throws money at them like a politician buying TV time. Honestly, I'd buy a boltgun and be done with it.
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
OldTurtle
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage mod. 116 and Custom .204 AR

Post by OldTurtle »

I built up an 'ultra-light' 10/22 when the carbon fiber barrels first came out and added a VQ fire control group with the Magnum Research barrel in a .22lr. When the 17M2 carbon fiber barrels became available, I added one of those to the combination and have had zero problems out of either.

The pic below is with my .22lr barrel and the whole rifle (without bipod) weighs in at 5.5 lbs. It's excellent for doing 'drive by action' when you find a low count PD town out in CO...just gotta keep the spent brass from going down the defroster vents... :wall:

And, YEP....That's a little Red Dot Lazer on the front of the stock.. :lol:

I've found that at 100yd, I have to remember to bring the scope down 35 clicks when I switch barrels from the .22 to the .17M2... That .17M2 shoots really flat..... And every once in a while I find Eley .17M2 ammo on sale for $4.99 at Midway Arms and I'll load up on 500 rounds... just a little more accurate than Hornady and Remington...

:idea:
AR
Factory/Factory
huntsman22
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger 77VT and ruger mkII Ultralite

Post by huntsman22 »

Last I checked, Brass down the defroster vents in CO. shouldn't be a problem while shooting prairie dogs. It's against the law to shoot from a vehicle, so we all know it (brass on the dash) never happens.........Don

Here is the reg. Look at 1)a, 1)b We have enuff law-breakers here already.

http://198.187.128.12/colorado/lpext.dl ... 2.0#LPHit1
Ryan S Albright
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 204 Ultra Light, Ruger 204 Standard, Ruger Target Gray

Post by Ryan S Albright »

I know one piece of brass is probably going to cost me a fortune. My heater controls won't work any more. Some one needs to come up with a mesh to go over the vents.
Squatting Wolf
.204 Ruger Guns: '07 Savage 12 LRPV

Post by Squatting Wolf »

My brother won a marlin bolt action (17 mach 2) in a raffel and it shoots very well. The only thing we've done with the rifle so far is replace the trigger with a rifle basix.
It's more important where ya hit 'em, than what ya hit 'em with.
'07 Savage 12 LRPV .204 w/ Leupold VX-II 6-18 LRV reticle
Va varminter
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 FV

Post by Va varminter »

I read that on grey squirrels and rabbits it does too much damage to really salvage any meat. That said, I guess if you only do head shots it may work out better.
http://www.fairtax.org
Election day can't get here soon enough.
savage rookie
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV, Savage VLP

Post by savage rookie »

I have a NEF Sportster in 17m2 and couldn't be happier. This thing is a laser out to 120 yards or so. Aside from the $7.50/box ammo I just bought the other day when the last of my brick ran out, I haven't had any complaints with it.

If there was ever a round designed for the purpose of gopher control this is it. All day long plinking with out hurting the wallet, nice and flat, one of my favorite rifles.

I've done a fair bit of rabbit and gopher hunting with it and yes, I have noticed a fair bit of meat damage on body shot rabbits.

Some cottontails I shot 2 winters ago. Headshots to 100 yards or so.

A lucky headshot at 120 yards

A good photo showing the expansion of the mighty 17m2 at 50 yards

The handle of the axe comes from the tree it chops.
Red

Post by Red »

Whew! Really old thread....

Been putting the stuff together myself to do a 10-17m2. Getting there is half the fun. It's a silly little project that I decided to do on a whim, yet I'm very excited about it. I guess it's the kid in me.
OldTurtle
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage mod. 116 and Custom .204 AR

Post by OldTurtle »

I did a minor upgrade on mine since the first post...

I upgraded to a Richards Microfit stock... It makes the rifle a little heavier, but I've found it's a lot more stable since I use in for longer distance shots.
AR
Factory/Factory
Medic52
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700 SPS Varmint

Post by Medic52 »

I have a CZ 452 Varmint in HM2 w/ Swift Premier Scope 6x18x40 it is a shooter. It has been alot of fun to shoot....
" The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he LOVES what is behind him." G.K.Chesterton

REM 700 SPS Varmint Elite 6x24x40
LIFE MEMBER NRA
TROPHY LIFE MEMBER NAHC
Red

Post by Red »

OldTurtle wrote: Image
Nice, very nice!!

Mine is the DSP version. I debated on going the same way you have in getting a lam stock and tensioned barrel. Since then I found a DSP with pretty nice wood, I'm planning a mid-weight barrel and using that factory DSP stock.

Right now I have it up and running with a factory 77/17 barrel and the barrel conversion kit from Rimfire Tech., along with their charging handle, etc. It shoots OK, but not great, I really need that new barrel, a better scope, and my R/T precision hammer is BACKORDERED!! :mad: So I'm stuck with the creepy crappy factory trigger until that shows....whenever that might be?

Medic, I had a CZ 17m2 American. It too was pretty darned accurate.

EDIT: Just got an e mail from R/T. The hammer is still a couple weeks out....ARRRRRGGGHHH!!!!!