500 Smith...(Pics)

Talk about or share information about handguns.
Ray P
.204 Ruger Guns: 2-Rem 700 and Ruger#1 S/S

500 Smith...(Pics)

Post by Ray P »

Looking to get a 500 smith in a smith & wesson X frame before price get to out of hand. Suggestions on a brand of scope and scope mounts that will take the punishment?? I know it will be over kill on game, but so is a 50 bmg and I don't own one of those.
Input is greaty appreciated.
Later
Ray P. Enjoy the pics!
Last edited by Ray P on Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Life is an adventure and often to short. Make the most with family and friends. Shoot often and shoot a small hole. Love the 204 Ruger!! NRA Life Member
"We are never to old to learn"
BabaOriley
.204 Ruger Guns: Dtech AR

Re: 500 Smith...

Post by BabaOriley »

I know a little about this topic, but have only limited experience with optics on mine, thankfully. It was getting expensive. The first thing I did was get a Jack Weigand rail.

I started out mounting an Aimpoint CompC 2x with a 2moa reddot. This model only has room for one doublewide 30mm ring. The first time I fired the pistol, the single clamp screw holding it on the rail bent, barely staying on the pistol. I tightened it down, fired again, and again it came loose. That wasn't gonna work. I still haven't replaced that screw, because it holds firmly on my Ruger Mark III.

The second try at an optic solution involved a Comp 9000SC 2x with 1moa reddot. These scopes are a little longer, and have a section of tube to put in a ring on both ends. The rings were different for this one too. They come together from the sides rather than clamping the top ring down on the bottom ring that's already in place. They also clamp to the rail when you tighten them down on the scope. I don't like how I have to sight it in every time I take it off the rail. I also had to take a piece of plastic film to line the bottom of the rear ring because i ran out of vertical adjustment. I did get it working allright and used this setup for deer season '07.

I guess I feel like I wish I would have just bought the factory offering on a base and rings, because they look to be the only ones made strong enough to feel completely confident your optic is secure. They're made by Warne, and are SKU#194570000 for the 1". I found they did have a 30mm at one time too but can't find them now.

This past deer season I went with open sights just because I didn't plan on taking a shot over 50 yards with the 500, and it was more fun to shoot, and lighter without an optic. I brought my muzzleloader along this year for any longer range needs.

I guess I don't feel like I've been much help to you here. I guess imho it's not the right tool for the job if you need to put an optic on it. I like shooting mine much more without an optic on it. Would consider making you a deal on an Aimpoint, rings and base if you're interested in trying my setup.
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

http://www.sskindustries.com

Ask about their Tough SOB mounts. They might have what you need. An email is always free. :mrgreen:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Ray P

Post by Ray P »

Well she's here!! 500 S&W with a 4" barrel and comp. What a piece of stainles steel! Going to try handloads first before I go after the factory stuff.
I'm tring a load of Hodgdon Lil-gun/ 35.0 with 350 sierra hp. Winchester brass and 9-1/2 rem LR primer. :huh: Got a find a powder funnel that fits? All mine are to "small" go figure.
Later and will pics soon
Ray P
Life is an adventure and often to short. Make the most with family and friends. Shoot often and shoot a small hole. Love the 204 Ruger!! NRA Life Member
204Shooter
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77II Ultralight

Post by 204Shooter »

Why do you need a funnel when the hole is the size of the kitchen sink! :eek: :D :lol:
Marriage is the only sport where the trapped animal has to buy the license! ... Just kiddin honey! :hail:
Ray P

Post by Ray P »

204Shooter :idea: Your right on! Size of kitchen sink!! After my last post I had typed before I thought. I just used my 204 powder funnel and it fit right inside the big 50 case..................just hate flake shotgun powder and static electricity, it sticks to the plastic funnel!!!!!!!!!!! :wall:
Thanks and Later
Ray P
BabaOriley
.204 Ruger Guns: Dtech AR

Post by BabaOriley »

Guy M

Re: 500 Smith...(Pics)

Post by Guy M »

How's that .500 treating you? :D

I generally run 440 gr cast bullets at 1400 fps, a couple of hundred fps below factory load levels. Makes a more pleasant day at the range, and I've never felt under-gunned with a 440 at 1400 fps...
Ray P

Post by Ray P »

Guy M........Thanks for asking! Factory loads are a little stout, to say the least. The recoil is straight back in your wrist and elbow. Shooting mainly 350 grn XTP's and 350 grn sierra's. Using 35.0 grns of Hodgdon's LiL-Gun powder. I can get 5 rounds in 5" at 25 yards. Not the greatest, but were working on it. She seams to like the sierra's over the hornady's. Is your a longer barreled 500?
Good luck with yours. I realy like mine alot.
Later
Ray P.
P.S. Need to see a bigger holes in the target because the eye's are getting little weaker at age.Haha :wink:
Guy M

Post by Guy M »

Yeah, I bought mine sight-unseen when they first came out. Had to wait a few months for delivery. In the meantime I got dies and components and actually had quite a bit of ammo loaded for it when the big revolver finally arrived. It's the 8 3/8" version, all they made at the time. A lot of fun to shoot, but I haven't ever even hunted with it, I just take it to the range and have a blast blowing big herkin' holes in things! :D

Surprisingly accurate...
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Guy: Are you wearing your vest there at the range in case on of those big hurkin' things bounce back at you" :lol:

And to think I can remember around the early 70's when we all thought the .44 Magnum was the biggest revolver we'd ever see. My how things change over time. Nice gun!
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails