Kimber Custom Covert II

Talk about or share information about handguns.
Ray P
.204 Ruger Guns: 2-Rem 700 and Ruger#1 S/S

Kimber Custom Covert II

Post by Ray P »

Any one got one? What's your thoughts. I see there's been some talk about Kimbers. Someone got a new Kimber last Christmas.
RIO has a couple and highly praises there service departs for turn around time.
Just like to hear any pros or cons. If any. :huh:
:chin: My son is interested in one.
I only have revolvers. Thias will be my (our) first 1911 series.
Thanks for any help or input.
Later
Ray P
Life is an adventure and often to short. Make the most with family and friends. Shoot often and shoot a small hole. Love the 204 Ruger!! NRA Life Member
"We are never to old to learn"
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Kimber Custom Covert II

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Ray: Actually, I have three Kimbers, all three of their frame sizes represented. The Custom Covert II you mention is basically the same as my two CDP II's, other than finish and grips. I give them very high marks in all regards; accuracy, reliability and aesthetics. Matter of fact, I sold all my Colt 1911's after my second Kimber, as I've never had a jam with any of my Kimbers, no matter what ammo I'm stuffing through it. I can't say the same for my Colts. The Colt 1911's are fine pistols, I just prefer the workmanship and features of the Kimbers these days.

I handled a Custom Covert II this week, and like the addition of the Crimson Trace Laser grips. I installed a set of those grips on one of my concealed carry belly guns, a S&W Airweight Model 642 .38 Spl +P revolver, and like them very much. With night sights and the laser grips, the Custom Covert II will make a fine defensive handgun.

Skipper was the lucky recipient of a Kimber last Christmas, and I'm sure he'll agree that these are the epitome of the 1911 genre of pistols.

My Tactical model (all blue) is an Oregon pistol, the other two are Yonkers models.

You can spend more on a 1911 these days, but in all honesty Ray, I don't think you can purchase a better 1911 for the money than a Kimber.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

I've got a Kimber Tac Pro II and I love it! Last year I even added a .22lr conversion to the mix and boy is that fun! Gary
Squatting Wolf
.204 Ruger Guns: '07 Savage 12 LRPV

Post by Squatting Wolf »

Rick,

That is one nice set of Kimbers you have there. I got to handle a CDP II about a month ago and fell in love. I'm looking at the the Custom CDP II but I'll have to start saving my pennies again now that I bought the model 41!
It's more important where ya hit 'em, than what ya hit 'em with.
'07 Savage 12 LRPV .204 w/ Leupold VX-II 6-18 LRV reticle
dannybracy
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12LRPV w/ VX-L Leupold 6.5-20x56 VHR, Savage 12FV.204

Post by dannybracy »

RayP, I also have been eyeing a Covert II since they came out. I think they are very stylish in a tatical way. You can't go wrong with night sites and a Crimson Trace already installed for a very reasonable price tag. I think since I traded in my .45 on my AR-15 that now I want a Covert II as my new replacement!!!! It also will be my first 1911. Problem is money.....soooo many guns and not enough green! If you get one let us know how you like it! -I think I would also want the .22 conversion for it to have some fun with. -Dan
***Danny Bracy***

'07 Savage 12LRPV .204 w/ VX-L Leupold 6.5-20x56 VHR
'07 Superior Arms AR15 20" Bull Varmint .223
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Ray: Captqc and Danny are right; once you get that Kimber Covert II, you'll want their 22LR conversion unit to complete the rig. I've had Colts with their conversion, and can say that the Kimber unit produces much better and most excellent accuracy, even with high-speed HP ammo. Using Winchester Power Points, mine will cut one ragged hole at 25 yards from a full magazine.

With the alloy frame of the Covert II and the alloy slide of the conversion unit, it makes for an easy to pack, good all around rimfire handgun, capable of taking small game with no problems whatever. The unit is also very reliable, mine having never jammed to date in the three years I've owned it.

I use mine primarily for our ground squirrels (aka Skippy), and inside of 50 yards, it's pretty dang effective.

These units are available in either silver/natural or blue finish to give whatever contrast to the pistol you prefer. Midway has them, and usually is about the best price around.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

I fell in love with a Kimber Raptor and my wife abliged me for Christmas last year. This is one of the finest 45s I've ever owned. You won't regret buying a Kimber.
I still have a soft spot for the Gold Cup National Match but even it doesn't compare.

Get a good holster and you're set.

Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Ray P

Post by Ray P »

Thanks...............for all your input!
2 questions..... (1) Frame material s/s steel vs aluminum. I understand the overall weight being the reason, but why do the offer both? (2) Recoil spring 16 lb on original 1911, replacement springs are 22 lb on there web site. Why the differance??
Thanks again.......great pics too.........I'm drolling all over my keyboard.....haha
later
Ray P
Life is an adventure and often to short. Make the most with family and friends. Shoot often and shoot a small hole. Love the 204 Ruger!! NRA Life Member
dannybracy

Post by dannybracy »

One word: SEXY
***Danny Bracy***

Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Ray: I'll try to answer your questions above, but not being employed by Kimber, this is just my take on it based on what I know, and is subjective at best.

Frame Material: It is generally assumed that a steel framed pistol will last longer than an alloy framed weapon, even though the new alloys are extremely tough and long lasting. Alloy frame pistols are generally intended for concealed carry on a daily basis, and not for extended shooting such as may be required for a duty pistol or competition rig. Recoil is also less with the added weight of the heavier frame, and some folks prefer steel for this reason.

After packing my full size Government Models and Colt Officers .45ACP for years (stainless frame), then a Colt LW Commander for a while, I came to appreciate the alloy frame big time. Now that I've got two Kimber CDP II's with their alloy frames, it's a no-brainer as to which I'd rather carry all day. These pistols are good for over 50K rounds, so wearing out the alloy frame these days is not an issue as it once was with the early LW Commanders that were good for around 5K rounds before needing replacement.

Recoil Springs: This one is pure conjecture on my part, but considering the standard Colt spring and plug arrangement versus the Kimber captured spring and guide rod assembly, and their multiple counterwound springs on the compact models, it's a matter of physics, function, and required spring rate with hardball ammo for reliable functioning. This could also be the reason I've never had a single jam in one of my Kimbers, compared to fussy functioning with my Colt pistols, especially with hard cast bullets, even the tried and true Hensely & Gibbs No. 68 SWC 200 grain bullet used so much in combat competition shooting.

Kimber has taken a huge share of the 1911 .45ACP market away from Colt, and for good reason. No need to take a new pistol to your pistolsmith to have it made 'carry ready', as the Kimbers are good to go right out of the box. Another reason SOCOM, Navy SEALS, the FBI HRT, LA SWAT and SIS have all gone go Kimber 1911 .45's. By the way, none of these elite units trust their lives to the 9mm Para.....there's volumes of good advice there too.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

dannybracy

Post by dannybracy »

Darn you Skipper!!!! Your pics of your .45 sparked an interest and tonight I was forced to FONDLE a stainless Raptor and it BEGGED me to give it a home. I really really like the Custom Covert, but I already have a conceal carry....so I might have to go with a more traditional looking 1911..... Man oh man was it SEXY! I will be dreaming for some time I am sure!!! P.S. could you have your wife email my fiance and give her some tips!!! haha Thanks for posting your pics -Dan
***Danny Bracy***

Mike
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper, RRA

Post by Mike »

Danny,

Like you, I went out and looked at a Raptor the other day. What a beautiful gun! I was hoping to buy one at Bass Pro here in Springfield, but was informed that they dropped the Kimber line a couple of months ago. What a HUGE disappointment to me!! A local shop had the Raptor on hand, so I got to check it out. Unfortunately, I have some discounts available at Bass Pro that I wanted to apply to this new purchase. Decisions, decisions...
Ray P

Post by Ray P »

Thanks for all the help!! We found a custom covert II just collecting the funds. Any recommendations on factory ammo to start with so we can get some brass for reloading?? What weight head to work with for re-loading.... 185,200 or the 230 grn?
Thanks again for any help.
Later
Ray P
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Ray: Kimber recommends breaking in the pistol with 500 runds of 230gr hardball ammo. For this task, I usually lay in a good supply of Winchester 'white box' .45 ammo from Wally World, about the best price for the 250 round pack.

After break-in, I used to carry Federal 230gr Hydro-Shock ammo, but for the past few years, I just carry 230gr hardball ammo in the guns, as from experience, I know for a fact it will do the job that may be asked, and do it with authority. The remote, but always possibile event of a jam is about completely eliminated with the use of FMJ hardball too. When carrying the .45ACP, the use of hollowpoint bullets does not really need to be a factor for reliable self defense, as the military-designed FMJ 230gr bullet will put an assailant down quite well.

If you decide to carry lighter HP ammo, I've had very good results in all my Kimbers using WW Silvertip 185gr, PMC Starfire 185 and 230gr HP, and the above mentioned Federal. Also very good is the Speer Gold Dot ammo in both weights.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Ray P

Post by Ray P »

:eek: Well did some running to try and find a good deal. The firearms dealer had to ordered it direct from Kimber. The dealer said 4 to 6 weeks. So the deposit is down and now we wait. Thanks for all the help!
Later
Ray P