+ P ammo

Talk about or share information about handguns.
sniper model 12
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage model 12 single shot synthetic stock bull barrel

+ P ammo

Post by sniper model 12 »

Not many lead tossers are stamped with the +P but I'd like to get a box of the Hornady TAP ammo. I have been told by some that the TAP ammo should not be fired through either my Springfield 1911A1 stainless Mil-Spec or my new XD Service 45.

I've already ordered two boxes from Midway. What are the downsides to the use of this ammo? I'll be using it for house defense staggered in the magizine with Federal Hydrashocks.

Please advise.

Thank you.

sniper
Last edited by sniper model 12 on Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Adopt the pace of Nature: Her secret is patience."
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS

Re: + P ammo

Post by Jim White »

sniper model 12 wrote:Not many lead tossers are stamped with the +P but I'd like to get a box of the Hornady TAP ammo. I have been told by some that the TAP ammo should not be fired through either my Springfield 1911A1 stainless Mil-Spec or my new XD compact 45.

I've alread ordered two boxes from Midway. What are the downsides to the use of this ammo? I'll be using it for house defense staggered in the magizine with Federal Hydrashocks.

Please advise.

Thank you.

sniper
Dunno. I did a quick search and the most I came up with is some didn't like the muzzle blast in comparison to others. Some of that +P is a taf warm and it beats on the gun. Of course, a heavier recoil spring isn't out of the question.

Jim
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

I'd not ever mix ammo in a defensive handgun; very bad idea. It is not recommended, gives two different recoil impulses, two different points of impact, and confuses a shooter in a tactical situation. You'll never see a professional operator doing so, ever. In the .45ACP, using Ball ammo ensures your pistol will go "bang" virtually every time, and from experience, I can tell you that 230 Ball ammo will drop your assailant every time with a torso hit. You really don't need HP ammo in a .45 for most uses, the big slug does the work quite well the way it was originally designed.

For +P loads, use a shock-buff and a heavier recoil spring in the 1911....18 to 22 lb. spring. Wilson makes very good shock-buffs.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

sniper model 12

Rick,

Sometimes the best way to learn things is by making silly suggestions. Thank you for settling the staggered ammo issue. Me and co-worker (same one who thinks that there are no other rifle calibers other than .270) had been "discussing" wether or not staggering different mfg's, grain weights, and bullet types did harm to the gun or the shooter. I offered to demo the inconsistent cycling to him, but he refused. He still staggers 185g jhp's with 230g ball ammo.

I agree with what ya said about the + side of the .45 caliber. You don't really need to carry 19+1 rounds of 9mm to disable an attacker when the one 230 gr Hydrashok or round nose will do the trick.

I do have a 22lb recoil spring in the 1911. I looked at the +p TAP for the purpose of in house use. From my research, it is suppose to have a reduced flash with effective stopping ability. Unfortuneatly, I have heard that it will beat the workings of a semi auto. I hope my 1911 will not see much use with the TAP ammo.. . but it's there if needed.

The XD will most likely be using the 230 g Hydra's or Golden Sabers. I would like to use lighter loads, but cannot find .45 ammo in southern Ohio.

What is the best way to find out the spring weight on the recoil setup for the XD? I attempted to call Springfield, but a long wait with the elevator music was running up the cell phone minutes.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
sniper model 12

Finally got through to Springfield techs today. I was told that the 1911 stainless could handle the OCCASIONAL one time in a great while TAP+P ammo. The XD should not receive such a punishment. I was told that if no other ammo was available, the XD could administer a couple of rounds without serious complications, however, it was strongly discouraged.

Now if I could only find some regular ammo to shoot with. . . . .
Ralph Waldo Emerson
LeeC

Post by LeeC »

Agree with RIO...the standard 230 ball will do what you want. One problem with using hot loads in a .45 auto in a consistant manner, you could be looking at a cracked frame. Alternating types of ammo, you could be looking at a smokestack, then you're left with a hammer.
"Those who hammer their guns into plowshares will plow for those who do not." Thomas Jefferson