New 221 Fireball

Talk about or share information about your centerfire rifles.
jrwoitalla
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varmint

New 221 Fireball

Post by jrwoitalla »

I guess CZ must have sent over a new shipment to the US as Bud's Guns sent me the news that they had 221 Fireballs in stock. I don't know if they have shipped mine yet, but I've ordered it. How many Fireball shooters are out there and what is your pet load? My research so far says that about 16g to 18g of Reloader 7 and 50gr VMax bullets tend to give some really decent results. Anyway, I'm looking forward to playing with a new toy.
The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason- Benjamin Franklin
RowdyYates
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington LVSF, Cooper M21V, C-Z 527 Kevlar V

Re: New 221 Fireball

Post by RowdyYates »

Appreciate the heads-up.
MiniSniper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 Custom by Absolute Accuracy.com

Post by MiniSniper »

15.5 of Lil'gun with a 40 gr. Nosler works for me. Shooten a 700 Classic......MS
jrwoitalla

Post by jrwoitalla »

Just came back from the range. The new 221 is not shooting as well as I would like. It does not seem to actually have anything wrong with it. It just wont shoot bug holes. I've only used Reloader 7 so far with 40gr Vmax's, 50gr VMax's, 50gr TNT's, 40gr Sierra Blitzkings, and 55gr Varmint Nightmares. All loads hold about the same groups. I never get any fliers. At 100yds the best I can manage is about 1.25" to 1.5". I'm neck sizing and seating with RCBS dies, using #71/2 primers, seating to 1.920". Scrubbed the bejeebers out of the barrel. I think the barrel may be touching the stock a bit on the left side, I'll try sanding it out some and see if that helps. Suggestions are welcome.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

When I get a factory fresh rifle, I usually strip it down completely, remove all the factory gunk, throughly clean the barrel, lugs, lug recess, douche out the trigger assy, check the bedding, then shoot a known good handload for accuracy purposes.

Once home from the range, and having targets shot with the stock rifle, I then strip it down again and hog out the barrel channel to float it, same with the recoil lug and tang area, bed with Accraglass Gel, adjust the trigger, then when completely done and cured, take it back to the range with the exact same handload to see just how much better she shoots. Always better, no exceptions.

You just cannot expect a factory rifle to shoot bugholes the first time out (unless it's a Cooper); it usually takes tweaking of the load, seating depth, bedding/floating properly etc. to get things right. It seldom happens overnight and always takes some effort on the part of the shooter. Rifles straight from the factory really need........help. ;)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

jrwoitalla

Post by jrwoitalla »

I know bug holes is a lofty expectation for a factory gun, but I get them(though not consistently) with my Tikka and my 204, and both are stark, factory shooters. They are heavy barreled varmint versions, and the 221 is a sporter, so that may have a lot to do with the situation. I've never done a bedding job on a gun, is there a good video out there somewhere to help me with the process? I really think this gun has a lot of potential and with a little TLC will really shine. Additionally, my experience with CZ's shows that it takes a few hundred pills down the tube before accuracy starts to improve and this gun has barely passed the century mark. I'd like to put a better scope on it; however finding high scope rings to fit a CZ are nearly impossible. The problem isn't with the front bell, it's with clearing the bolt. How do you all handle this problem?
RowdyYates
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington LVSF, Cooper M21V, C-Z 527 Kevlar V

Post by RowdyYates »

jrwoitalla wrote:I know bug holes is a lofty expectation for a factory gun, but I get them(though not consistently) with my Tikka and my 204, and both are stark, factory shooters. They are heavy barreled varmint versions, and the 221 is a sporter, so that may have a lot to do with the situation. I've never done a bedding job on a gun, is there a good video out there somewhere to help me with the process? I really think this gun has a lot of potential and with a little TLC will really shine. Additionally, my experience with CZ's shows that it takes a few hundred pills down the tube before accuracy starts to improve and this gun has barely passed the century mark. I'd like to put a better scope on it; however finding high scope rings to fit a CZ are nearly impossible. The problem isn't with the front bell, it's with clearing the bolt. How do you all handle this problem?
Here's how you handle the bolt clearance problem: http://www.jamescalhoon.com for his bolt mod; also Leupold, Millett and Warne make higher rings for 527s - although going that route will put your scope up near the stratosphere. I was never able to get my .221 C-Z to shoot as well as the Cooper I traded it for, although I probably didn't put forth the effort needed to bring it around. The sporter barrel was a bit too "sporty" for my tastes (and loud), and I always wished for a Varmint style in .221 like the .204 and .223, etc. Even my Rem. LVSF .221FB has more barrel than the C-Z, and frankly shot better out of the box. Not knocking the 527 by any means, and I hope to have another some day; the dandy little detachable mag and single-set trigger are pluses. Good luck with your purchase - the potential's certainly there.
wirelessguy2005
.204 Ruger Guns: Custom 20 SCC, Savage LRPV 20 Nitro , Howa 1500 204 Ruger

Post by wirelessguy2005 »

we started working on a replacement bolt handle for the cz 527 this week. We had it in the works last year and then got busy tring to keep up with production on our other products so we had to shelf the project for the time being. Now that we are back on it I hope to have some of them ready to go within the next 30 days if all goes well. Our design eliminates all the problems found with the factory handle. Not to mention that it will be made of stainless steel and redesigned for a much cleaner look than the factory handle. Stay tuned i hope to have more information very soon. Anyone that's interested in one of the new CZ 527 replacement bolt handles feel free to email us and get added to the waiting list, anyone on the waiting list gets first chance at purchasing the handles when they are ready. Email: sales@customreloadingtools.com

Thanks,

Brad
Custom Reloading Tools LLC
jrwoitalla wrote:I know bug holes is a lofty expectation for a factory gun, but I get them(though not consistently) with my Tikka and my 204, and both are stark, factory shooters. They are heavy barreled varmint versions, and the 221 is a sporter, so that may have a lot to do with the situation. I've never done a bedding job on a gun, is there a good video out there somewhere to help me with the process? I really think this gun has a lot of potential and with a little TLC will really shine. Additionally, my experience with CZ's shows that it takes a few hundred pills down the tube before accuracy starts to improve and this gun has barely passed the century mark. I'd like to put a better scope on it; however finding high scope rings to fit a CZ are nearly impossible. The problem isn't with the front bell, it's with clearing the bolt. How do you all handle this problem?
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

Have you tried using the set trigger on that rifle? Be well aware that if you haven't used it yet you might want to practice with some snap caps. :wink:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
jrwoitalla

Post by jrwoitalla »

Thanks for all of the great responses. Yes I do use the set trigger exclusively. If I get the new bolt handle, do I install it myself, or do I send the entire bolt in to be worked on? I was just looking on the CZ site, I was wondering if the laminate stock for the 527 Varmint will fit the 221 Fireball? If not, what would it take to make it fit? I like the laminate stocks that Calhoon uses, does he sell his separately?
wirelessguy2005
.204 Ruger Guns: Custom 20 SCC, Savage LRPV 20 Nitro , Howa 1500 204 Ruger

Post by wirelessguy2005 »

The replacement bolt handle is very easy to install. If i remember correctly the directions are in the CZ manual about how to take the bolt apart. Its really very simple and takes all of a minute. I am not sure what stock Calhoon uses on his rifles, however i prefer the HS Precision stocks. You can purchase them at Stocky's Guns Stocks, we have a link to their site from the links page on our website.
jrwoitalla wrote:Thanks for all of the great responses. Yes I do use the set trigger exclusively. If I get the new bolt handle, do I install it myself, or do I send the entire bolt in to be worked on? I was just looking on the CZ site, I was wondering if the laminate stock for the 527 Varmint will fit the 221 Fireball? If not, what would it take to make it fit? I like the laminate stocks that Calhoon uses, does he sell his separately?
jrwoitalla

Post by jrwoitalla »

After another day at the range, my Fireball showed much improvement. Things that I did differently that may have improved shot groups were- changed primers from #7 1/2 Remmies to CCI #400's, and chamferred the necks very carefully prior to seating the bullets. The loads I shot today were Sierra 40gr BK's and 35gr V-Max's. Still not shooting bug holes, but was getting three shots touching at 100yds. The Sierra's were performing best at 200yds giving around 1.75" to 2" groups with no fliers. Once I get the stock bedded, and the bolt modified so I can put on my Grand Slam 6-20 with a target dot, I strongly suspect this little sporter will begin to show its mettle.
sharps45-120
.204 Ruger Guns: Kimber 84M .204 Ruger

Post by sharps45-120 »

If you intend to use it for up to deer size game, use a Sierra 52gr BTHP MATCH bullet. I shot my first deer with one of these in a 222 Remington & took it with one shot. The match bullet has a thicker jacket and is very accurate & works on larger game where a thin varmint bullet will shred before good penetration on a larger animal. I had 3 shot groups from a Remington 788 stock rifle 3/8 inch at 100 yards. Later I purchased a 700 Remington in 222 Rem. & had ragged 1 hole groups after Epoxy Steel bedding a custom thumbhole varmint stock, Free floating the barrel, Lapping the barrel, adjusting the trigger to 2# & a Lyman 20x Super Target Spot scope. I had a target I shot at 100 yards that a fly landed on so I decided to shoot at it. The fly vanished, I went down & picked up the target & found a grayish spray off to one side of the bullet hole where the fly was. My gunsmith wanted the gun & paid good money for it but wanted the target as well. I since have purchased 4 - 700 Remingtons in 17 Remington & a Kimber 84M in 204 Ruger. I have one 17 Rem left as friends keep talking me out of them after they shoot it.
tuck2

Post by tuck2 »

My Rem 700 Fireball in a glassbedded Boyd Thumbhole Varmint stock , free floated barrel w/ a Burris 4-16 AO scope likes the Hornady V-Max 40 Gr bullet with 18.6 Gr of Re 7 powder in Rem cases and Fed 205 primers. The last 100 yard group was 0.45 inch. The 50 Gr V-Max bullet using 16.3 of IMR 4194 made just under one inch 100 yard groups. The best groups using 14.9 Gr of Lil Gun powder with the 40 Gr V-Max bullet were around 0.8 inch groups. Every rifle is a bit different so you have to try different loads to find out what your rifle likes.
jrwoitalla

Post by jrwoitalla »

I put together all the empty brass I had with 40gr Blitzkings...ended up with 140 rounds. I was going to go to the range and see what kind of groups I could print last weekend with the CZ, but the black powder boys called dibs on the benches. So I was all set to go out tomorrow morning....but my buddy just called and invited me to go ground squirrel shooting. I'll be taking out the 40gr Sierra loads and 40gr V-Max in 221FB along with the 204Ruger with 39gr loads...might take some pics to share. Have a nice weekend boys :P