221 Fireball or 20 VarTarg.

Talk about or share information about your centerfire rifles.
GlennGTR1
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger 77 all weather ultralight

221 Fireball or 20 VarTarg.

Post by GlennGTR1 »

I have been dreaming of a light weight walking varminter in a Cooper rifle. I have settled on the Cooper Classic at an advertised weight of 6.25 lbs. For many years I have wanted a rifle chambered in 221 Fireball, but am now also considering the 20 VarTarg. I just purchased a Ruger M 77 MK II standard in 204 so I have at least one 20 cal on hand. This rifle will be used primarily for varmints, small game and predators. Ranges will not exceed 300 yards and most likely between 50 and 200. Targets will be ground squirels, rockchucks, crows, coyotes, bobcat, racoons and turkey where a centerfire is legal..like Montana. What kind of maximum effective range can I expect from the 221 Fireball? is the 20 VarTarg any better for my intended purposes? For those of you that have bought Coopers what kind of delivery time can a guy expect if the rifle is not in stock?
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Re: 221 Fireball or 20 VarTarg.

Post by Glen »

I've had the opportunity to shoot groundhogs between 200 & 235yds with the 221 & a 50gr SBK. There are no fantastic results unless you consider "just dead" a fantastic result. Which I do. :wink: Now on ground squirrles or p-dogs I can see where you might get some effects otherwise since they are much smaller. The 20VT is one wicked cool little round with a good deal more velocity & will give a better splat factor whereas the 221 just "makes em dead." :mrgreen:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
RowdyYates
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington LVSF, Cooper M21V, C-Z 527 Kevlar V

Re: 221 Fireball or 20 VarTarg.

Post by RowdyYates »

Glen nailed it. I'm getting down to where someday my only CF varmint rifles will be .204 (or a variant), and .221 FB. I have two of each: in "lighter"(Rem. LVSF) and "heavier" (Cooper 21V and 38 Phoenix) versions, although any can be carried around without too much effort; all are shooters. The .221 nailed DRT from 260 yards the biggest groundhog I've ever shot, but that's probably approaching the limit of that round on that size game for ethical/certain kills; think of it more as a Hornet on steroids with a louder report and you'l be OK. Also, there's a small bit of muzzle jump that you won't see with the .204.
Am not familiar enough with the 20VT to comment.
My (ordered) Cooper .221FB took exactly 6 weeks to arrive at the dealer.