Ruger 77, 284 win twist rate?

Talk about or share information about your centerfire rifles.
JeffG
.204 Ruger Guns: Stevens 200 / .204

Ruger 77, 284 win twist rate?

Post by JeffG »

I've finally found a Ruger 77 in .284. I've gotten mixed answers about the twist rate, does anyone know?
Thanks,
Jeff
Ray P
.204 Ruger Guns: 2-Rem 700 and Ruger#1 S/S

Re: Ruger 77, 284 win twist rate?

Post by Ray P »

You can call Ruger with your serial# and they should be able to help.
That what I did when I got my Ruger M77 in 7X57.
Hope this helps a little.
Later
Ray P
Life is an adventure and often to short. Make the most with family and friends. Shoot often and shoot a small hole. Love the 204 Ruger!! NRA Life Member
"We are never to old to learn"
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

If they will let you, and you can not locate spec sheet. Take a cleaning rod and measure the twist of the barrel. Bill K :)
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Bill K wrote:If they will let you, and you can not locate spec sheet. Take a cleaning rod and measure the twist of the barrel. Bill K :)
Bill's right, but you'll need a tape measure along with that cleaning rod. You'll be able to figure out the twist (probably a ten twist) that way faster than trying to call them and get the usual runaround from "unenlightened" CS people that weren't around when the .284 was being produced.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Bayou City Boy

Post by Bayou City Boy »

I hope you have better luck than I did with mine...

In 1983 I bought two un-cataloged new-in-the-box Ruger 77's in 284 Winchester. Both of them would regularly keyhole bullets at 100 yards with both factory ammo and with hand loads.

After playing with both of them, one got re-barreled to 25-284 and the other got re-barreled to 6.5-284, and both are now good shooters. The time era mine came from was when Ruger was turning out the 284's and it was also the same period of time that they were buying completed barrels from a supplier for less than $3 each. So.....some shot well and some didn't, in all calibers.

Even though both barrels looked OK, I had them both re-crowned, etc., and nothing helped. So after about 5 years of frustration I gave up on the 284 Win in a factory rifle and had a custom built. It still shoots great.

JME - BCB