Savage Action

Talk about or share information about your centerfire rifles.
ryutzy
.204 Ruger Guns: Superior Arms Custom AR-15 Leopold VXIII 4.5-14X50

Savage Action

Post by ryutzy »

I've got a used Savage Long Action. The action is in decent shape. Just wondering what this action is worth? Any thoughts? This action is from a 30-06.
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
Stay humble, Stay teacheable
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Re: Savage Action

Post by acloco »

Flat back or round back (is the top of the rear receiver flat or round - where the scope base mounts)?

If the action has an accutrigger, action should be a round receiver.

Most Savage/Stevens long actions sell for $175 to $250.
ryutzy

Post by ryutzy »

Thanks for the reply. The top of the rear receiver is flat. No it does not have the accutrigger.
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
acloco

Post by acloco »

Forgot to mention, your action may have a "three screw" trigger from the factory. Includes an extra adjustable screw for sear engagement. Very desirable to have. Change the wire on the side of the trigger assembly to 0.040" spring wire, clean and adjust the trigger, and you should end up with a nice 2.5-3.5 lb trigger that breaks clean and crisp.

Not sure if you are aware, but there is a website for enthusiasts specifically for "Brothers of the Barrel Nut"....aka.....Savage & Stevens rifles. www.savageshooters.com

I own a plethora of Savage & Stevens rifles. Everything from 204 to 338 RUM. Some bone stock....and some have everything done to them.

One nice thing about Savage/Stevens rifles, caliber changes are easy. Buy a barrel, barrel nut wrench, go/no go gauges, and about 20 minutes...you are ready to shoot.
ryutzy

Post by ryutzy »

thanks so much for the info. I'm having a hard time deciding what caliber to make it. Any suggestions? I dont really need another big caliber gun but hey, maybe I will.
acloco

Post by acloco »

ryutzy wrote:thanks so much for the info. I'm having a hard time deciding what caliber to make it. Any suggestions? I dont really need another big caliber gun but hey, maybe I will.
Yes...actually, I do. Have a barrel, dies, and brass inbound to me sometime next week.

280 Rem...almost nearly the same power as a 7 Rem Magnum, without the recoil. Flat shooting and hard hitting...does not get much better than that.

Or....put a single shot follower in the well and make it anything you want.