Anyone with an opinion of the Rem 770 or Savage Edge

Talk about or share information about your centerfire rifles.
remy3424
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700, Tika T3, Ruger 77R MKII., Savage Pred., Rem XR100 +

Anyone with an opinion of the Rem 770 or Savage Edge

Post by remy3424 »

Have a friend wanting to purchase his first centerfire bolt rifle. Cabelas has the Rem 770 for $299 and the Savage Edge for $259 in choice of caliber (they might even have a 3x9) sporter barrel in a flier coming out. Acts like he's on a budget for this purchase. The Edge does not have the accu-trigger or I would have sided with the Savage on that alone. Anyone heard or experenced anything on either of these 2 rifles???
Take a kid to the range, both of you will be glad you did. remy3424
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Re: Anyone with an opinion of the Rem 770 or Savage Edge

Post by acloco »

The 770's are junk. Buy a Stevens for a cheap first rifle that he can actually build on.
remy3424
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700, Tika T3, Ruger 77R MKII., Savage Pred., Rem XR100 +

Post by remy3424 »

Just saw the flier, no scopes, which is just as well. Thanks for the quick reveiw acloco (nice snag on the Leupold scope also). Neither of this would likely have much resale value, but they are a CHEAP way to find out if you want to get into rifles I guess.

They do have Rem SPS SS heavy barreled rigs for $559 after mail-in rebate (204,223,25-250 & 308), but if they are like many Rem 204s, might struggle with 32gr. Vmaxs bullets. Hornady 204, 50 ct. box for 39.99, 32 or 40 gr. This Cabelas sale is Aug 19th - 25th.
Take a kid to the range, both of you will be glad you did. remy3424
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

You should be able to pick up a Stevens in the 279 to 299 range.

Yes...that scope will be a welcome addition.
okbob51
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper

Post by okbob51 »

both suck...I'd wait, take more time to save, buy something you can be proud of and won't break down and will be more accurate.
Guy M

Post by Guy M »

At the end of the hunting seasons, and before Christmas (meaning now) check the pawn shops and second hand gun stores for great deals on used rifles - many with decent scopes attached, at far below the original asking price.

I'd not hesitate to buy any Win 70, Ruger 77, or Remington 700 or Model 7 in good shape. I know less about the Savage rifles, but they too have earned a great reputation in recent years. I'd be happier buying a good used rifle than a bargain-basement new rifle. Have bought quite a few used rifles that worked out very well.

Guy
DoubleUp
.204 Ruger Guns: 204 Ruger

Post by DoubleUp »

I decided to buy an Edge in 223 cal. back in May. Some folks don't like the looks of any Savage and they probably won't like this one either. Some don't like the feel either I guess. Basically I was looking for a truck gun that I could not have a major investment in and yet would be dependable and hopefully accurate.

The rifle surprised me in several ways. First, it felt really good to me and was light and easy to handle. It mounted to my shoulder right and just seemed to be an extension of me. That was surprising for a rifle that was less than $300 including tax and shipping. The action initially felt a little rough or grainy, but that has now smoothed out really well.

What surprised me most was the way the rifle would group. It was a .5 moa rifle right out of the box with handloads and would shoot everything from 50's to 75 bthp's well. I did put a Rifle Basix trigger in it in August, and I seldom shoot a group that isn't sub .5 moa. I have shot several groups with 69 smk and 75 Hornady bthp that were in the teens. I didn't expect that kind of accuracy from a light (6.5 lbs) rifle with a 22" barrel.

The guys here at our local gunshop have sold a bunch of them just based on my targets they posted in the gunshop from this little rifle. Anyway I am more than happy with mine. Each to their own choice. I did have more copper fouling initially than I liked but that smoothed up after about 100 rds and some scrubbing with Rem. X40. That's my report for whatever it's worth to anyone considering buying what is now called the Savage Axis.
Swift One
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPSS

Post by Swift One »

Well, I have experience in both rifles. In the 770, its a 270 Winchester and an absolute tack driver....with factory ammo and reloads. I did lighten the trigger up though. I have to say the the bolt action leaves a lot to be desired. However, I have used bullet weights from 100grs to 130grs and they all shoot well. I am currently pushing a 130gr SBT .020" off the lands and getting very good accuracy. It will shoot consitently out to 450yds.

In, the Edge (Axis), its a 25-06. The trigger SUCKS. However, I have worked on it and it now breaks at 2.75lbs consistently with very minimal creep. VERY Minimal. All I did was cut the spring 1/2 coil at a time until I got the desired results. I really dont like that the lug not attached to the barrel (its in the stock itself). For me, that translates into not getting an after market stock for the rifle. However, it has no apparent hinderance on the accuracy. I am still trying to figure out what it likes to shoot, but I was getting factory loaded 100gr Core lokts averaging around .75"- 1.00" at 100yds. The scope that came with it is nothing special. I replaced it with a Nikon pro Staff.

Comparing the two:

Accuracy: The 770 has a lot of trigger time on it and I will tell you, the 270 in this model is VERY accurate. Probaby due the fairly thick barrel it has. It is not a free floating barrel. I have not used the edge long enough to say what it will do at long range, but i believe accuracy potential is there.

Bolt: The Edge has a very smooth bolt while the 770 has a lot to be desired in the smoothness dept.

Trigger: the 770 has an adjustable trigger, while the Edge has a not so adjustable trigger. For the record, both models have aftermarket triggers available for them.

Optics: Both came with run-of-the-mill scopes which would suffice, but I like better quality. Which is why both models are wearing different glass then what they came with.

Handling The 770 is a little more heavy, but with that I get a better more solid feel when shouldering it. The Edge is quite light to carry, But also feels a tad "floaty" when shouldering it.

If I had to choose between the two models for just one, I would prob go with the Edge. And the only reason is because of the bolt. The Edge wins by a landslide in this dept.