CZ 527 American 221 Fireball.

Talk about or share information about your centerfire rifles.
GlennGTR1
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger 77 all weather ultralight

CZ 527 American 221 Fireball.

Post by GlennGTR1 »

I used to use my dads Remington 221 Fireball as a kid for all sorts of small game,varmint and predator hunting. I want to get a new one for myself and have seen that a lot of members here like the CZs. Has anyone here owned one in the 221 Fireball Caliber? What kind of accuracy did you get? Is a nicer aftermarket wood stock available.
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Re: CZ 527 American 221 Fireball.

Post by glenn asher »

Both Glen and Glenn, the moderators here, have CZ Fireballs :lol: :wink: Both of us seem to favor the load my buddy came up with, 18.5 Reloader Seven and a 50gr.whicheveryouchoose. They are very forgiving for most bullets.
I bought mine, brought it home, cleaned the barrel, mounted a scope and took it to the range. After getting a rough zero, I took it to the 100 yard range, and with factory Remington ammo got half-inch to 5/8" right out of the box. No fussing around, it just shot well, and hasn't done materially worse since (except with Midway Dogtowns, which it really doesn't like). With 40s or 50s, using the SAME POWDER CHARGE AS ABOVE, it shoots under a half-inch regularly.
Sometimes, if the sun is shining just right, it shoots quarter-inch groups, but not anything smaller. Lil Gun powder shoots well in my rifle, but pierces primers too often to suit me. I quit using it for this rifle.

I've pretty well quit load development with it, I just use Reloader Seven and let it go at that. If I want faster loads, I use the .223s or .204s. I mostly use 50s, because that's what I use in the .223s, it's cheaper to stock up on just one type of bullet.

BTW, you can use the inexpensive SPSX or Blitz bullets in the Fireball without worries about twisting them apart, so you can save a few pennies that way. they are my rifles' favored bullets, by a slim margin.
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

Forgot to answer your stock question. I don't know of any good aftermarket stocks except the Kevlar Bell and Carlson stock CZ puts on some of the Varmint models, but CZ can sell you stocks with fancier wood, for a premium, about $300, give or take a few $$.

Honestly, though, most CZ Fireballs I've seen are shipped with some pretty good-looking lumber on 'em, mine has some nice marbling in the buttstock, and another buddy has one with some REALLY, REALLY nice wood in his.
They are really sweet little rifles, with few vices.
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

YEP!! :mrgreen: I did the same thing as GA with mine except I sighted mine in with my Brother's 14" Contender FireBall loads of 18.5grs of R7 & a 50gr V-Max. 1/2" groups with his handloads for his 14" barrel. :wink: I chose the BK for my load as the BC was juuust a tad higher than the V-Max. Factory ammo shot 5/8" in mine but it is $21/20 around here. :eek:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
RowdyYates
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington LVSF, Cooper M21V, C-Z 527 Kevlar V

Post by RowdyYates »

I have one. A good shooter out ot the box, I got about 3/4" average without using the set trigger and the factory Remington Accutip 50 gr. ammo. Haven't handloaded any FB's yet, but sure do like the heavier bullet on game.
As far as the stock goes, I've heard the FB's, for whatever reason, got the best wood of the 527 cal's. I appreciate the rifle as an excellent "walking" gun, but sure wish CZ would make the .221 in a Kevlar Varmint version.